Oaxaca


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 9th 2015
Published: November 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

From the big smoke we took the (expensive) bus 7 hours south to Oaxaca city (and capital of state) for the next leg of our trip. When leaving mexico city, it was surprising just how expensive the bus was (i think about $30 - comparable to a cheap UK bus) and also how serious security was, you had to check your bag in like an airport and go through scanners, and get your hand luggage searched! We thought for the price the bus was going to be amazing. It was pretty good, but nothing like good buses in brazil or colombia which were really spacious and luxurious. Anyhow, no real dramas and got to our next hostel after catching a second bus.

Oaxaca city is lovely, i think it is actually UNESCO heritage site, very colonial and spanish feeling with the grand churches, plazas and buildings. Definately a rich city, prices were quite high and it was very safe. with a big art and culture scene. The city itself was great just to wander around in, have a Corona,eat the delicious food and wander around the markets. They also have the traditional drink called Mezcal which we tried, and i absolutely hated. Kind of like a conac. Gary has since drank it a few times but i wont touch the stuff! Saying that, he also does Tequila shots but i cant touch them, even the smell makes me feel sick. some mexican traveller i am eh? I do however love the coronas.

From the city we took 2 different day trips, both of which were amazing. The first was to Hierve el Agua, which means in english petrified waterfall. Not petrified as in Scared, but some geological term. To get there was a bit of a mission. Normal bus - collective taxi - shared van. The roads getting there are really windy but the views were amazing. Whilst driving there we saw so many mexican stereotypes. Men wearing sombreros, cacti everywhere. Normally stereotypes are not realisitc or exaggerated but here they are alive and well! Upon arriving we were met with amazing views. Several natural pools and mountains in the background. Unfortunately the pools were not as warm or inviting as they looked and were actually quite cold. Gary took the plunge more than me (as usual) but didnt last long either!

On another day we visited Monte Alban, which is reportedly the oldest town in the whole of the americas! We had a guide who explained everything, i cant quite remember the timescales but i am sure that it started around 8000BC! The site had been restored really well


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb