Lila Downs in Oaxaca


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 19th 2010
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, it's the 19th of November and Cris and I finally made to the airport in Tijuana. We were not shot at or kidnapped by criminals. As a matter of fact we managed to stop and eat a few tacos safely, but unfortunately my request for whole wheat tortillas fell silent.

The airport is small and very easy to navigate. There were two departure gates in the terminal and both led to the same sidewalk which followed 10 ft of grass and then the tarmac. We took the steps down from the Volaris aircraft, which I must say was a very pleasant and comfortable flight (hopefully Volaris gives me a discount for my entry), and we made our way from the tarmac—to the sidewalk—to one of the two terminals—and finally the baggage claim (all in 10 minutes).

For a brief moment our direction in this trip joined with others, as we entrusted our lives to the driver of the taxi, who with a spiritual grace, managed to get us all to our separate accommodations safely.

We arrived to our place of stay and I was amazed! We had a beautiful location, right in the city centre and the attention given was just what we needed after our miraculous taxi ride. Our hostess greeted us and offered us a fresh morning juice. Although, check-in was not for another 8 hours she let us go to our room anyway. She even prepared breakfast for us. I can already feel that our luck in Oaxaca was already looking good—especially after surviving our taxi ride to the hotel.

My main reason for coming to Oaxaca was for the free concert by Lila Downs, but I can already see that I will discover much more than just good music and nice scenery, hopefully I find my wheat tortillas.

Later that day: The concert was…spectacular. Words couldn’t describe it! Maybe there was a special feel, because Lila Downs was back home performing for her family and friends. I am glad I came to Oaxaca to see her perform. This trip is turning out to be a fun adventure already. I gave up on the wheat tortillas by the way!

For the rest of the week: Well, the main reason for the trip was to see Lila Downs, but we seen so much more. We were there for a book fair, a parade, another festival I cannot remember and we visited all the sites available to see both in and out of the city. I learned to appreciate Mescal and I tried so many foods that I have so many new favorites. We also met two amazing girls who were on a mission to give less fortunate Mexicans opportunity to learn and discover their own country. Finally, did I mention I stood next to the widest tree in the world... yes I know what you’re thinking—Tacos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb