Oaxaca City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
January 10th 2009
Published: January 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thank you for the responses. Yes, Joan I got your e mail, which I have read numerous times, I would love to hear more. Congradulations. Of course Mike can use our place, our bed or the guest room.

Oaxaca city:

We are so happy to be here. We left Puebla two days ago, we decided to take a chance with no reservations. We found a lovely little hotel within 30 minutes of arriving. We weren't booked for Las Mariposas until today, Jan. 9 and will be here until the 19th. We stayed at this delightful hotel last year where we met so many people. One of the reasons we come here is because of the hotel. Every morning there is breakfast served from 8 to 9:30, there is a central courtyard where everyone gathers and sits around big tables. The smell of la olla coffee comes up to our room around 7:30 a.m. It is a special coffee made mainly in Oaxaca. There is a large clay pot with 5 gallons of boiling water in it, to which they add, one pound of ground coffee and cinnamon, it is left to steep for an hour. The grounds settle and we ladle out the most delicious tasting coffee. There are sitting areas all around the hotel, a small library, fountains and most of the people that come here are travellers and often have interesting stories to tell. Breakfast can last for several hours. The first night we were here we walked down to the main square where a large band was playing, the couples were doing Mexican danzon. The women were all dressed up and the men were in suits, the couples were mostly elderly, but that did not curtail their enthusiasm to move their hips, sway and look romantically into each others eyes. They were delighted when the gringos joined in and danced. The dancing went for several hours. We know the city well and travel about with ease. Down the street from our hotel is the Park Juarez. The fountains are magnificant, water shooting up 20 feet into the air. In the mornings people walk briskly, swinging their arms. We saw a couple embraced in a kiss for 30 minutes, I was tempted to offer them chap stick. I have never seen so much open affection between couples, as I have in Mexico. In the evening a troup of dancers practiced mexican dance, the girls had on dirndle skirts that created beautiful patterns as they turned and stamped their feet. This morning when we went for a walk, there was a huge outdoor market. We have been experimenting with eating street food. There is so much here to taste. There is a corn soup that one can buy from the vendors. They put corn into a cup, then they mix mayo, grated cheese, lime juice and chili pepper. That is corn soup. We tend to spend a great deal of time watching street food being cooked, which even includes hand made potato chips. There are carts that only sell sweet drinks and deserts. So much to sample and so cheap.

I may have a chance to do a natural dyeing course next week. I am hoping to go to the market tomorrow to watch chocolate being made and of course to drink a cup of it. The women are the only ones who make the chocolate drink here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb