I'm gonna go eat worms


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 6th 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos...my plane finally arrived and i am now in mexico...


mexico, like all the other countries so far, is proving to be wonderful...and quite a bit hotter than the south..hurrah!

started off in mexico city...which really is quite big....when up a tower to look at the whole city so i am able to confirm that it is in fact massive...the day i arrived was the day of the dead here, which is a festival where they celebrate their dead relatives...and its pretty cool as they build lots of altar type things covered in flowers and food and skeletons, and then have a massive party involving the mariachis singers....which was all v. fun...

i was only in mexico city for a couple of days..which i was quite gutted about as you could easily spend a few weeks there...but actually it turned out to be quite fortunate that i was only there a few days as the day after i left a plane fell on the hotel i was staying at....so it turns out that it is for the best that my trip to mexico city was brief..

after mexico city i headed to a smaller city called puebla...again a very pretty city...spent some time wandering around, having a few drinks etc...

am now in oaxaca..another very pretty colonial city....have visted a couple of impressive ruins...as per usual they were up the top of a mountain...these ancient civilisations were seriously obsessed with mountains it turns out, and from what i can tell spent most of their time dragging rocks up them to build temples etc...only to discover there was no water there and then abandon the mountain...albeit it several hundred years later...

also went to see mezcal..a spirit similar to tequila, being made....which seemed to invole burning cactuses in a big pit...then some magic happens and mezcal is made....its pretty strong stuff...and i can only blame the free tasters for my decision to then eat a load of the worms that they put in the bottles...they didnt really taste of anything but mezcal...but were kinda chewy...

today have also been trying out more local delicacies....have been eating deepfried grasshoppers...they are fine but i find the soft middle a little disturbing...other than insects the food here is good..the mole sauce (chocolate sauce) and chicken is great, as are all the chillis etc...

and of course the tequila is tasting very nice...me and johana my tour leader/new best friend...have taken to spending the nights at the salsa bars, ordering a bottle of tequila and some fresca (grapefruit stuff the locals mix tequila with) and dancing with the greasiest mexicans we can find...good times!

tonight is yet another night bus..altho hopefully the last one of the trip...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb