An Eventful End to Mexico City and Arrival in Oaxaca


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
July 21st 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday night we went to see mexican wrestling at Arena Mexico! this was crazy, we had near ringside seats and saw 6 midgets fighting to start with and it ended with the much anticipated Dr Wagner v Perro Aguayo! we were gutted when Dr Wagner lost and so were 15000 mexicans who started launching beer at the ring, so we joined in!
Saturday through the day we went into Condesa and Coyoacan, some nice parts of the city and had a wander round seeing a few sights, and tried to see the university but it was shut (a long tube ride to a dodgy area for no reason!)
And then there was saturday night....
*before reading this parents of Ricky and Dan do not panic! we are absolutely fine and in no trouble whatsoever!
we started the night as usual, a few drinking games at the hostel, bit of dancing on the bar...
we decided to try and find a club that had been recommended to us by the barman, but we didnt have much luck, so we decided to have a beer in a random bar
and then our mexican city amigo Sam said the words "Shall we take these beers home"
so we left the bar drinks in hand, being the law abiding citizen that i am (ricky), i decided to leave my beer, then...
the Policia came up to us and told us that there was no drinking on the street, Dan and Sam said fair enough and tried to give their beers to the police and apologise, but the police werent havin any of it
they were saying that they had to pay a fine or be held in a cell for 36 hours, and considering we were leaving for Oaxaca in about 5 hours they agreed to pay the fine and went over to th police car, which then drove off with Dan and Sam inside
So i was left on my own at 2 in the morning with no idea where my friends had been taken so i ended up do a little tour of the mexico city police stations, talking to mexican policeman in english and being replied to in spanish, trying to find them.
i eventually went back to hostel to try and get help...
meanwhile in the police car the policemen were asking for 2000 pesos (about 100 pounds) from us, but after some negotiation and lying about the amount of money we had on us (lying isnt always bad) we gave them 700 pesos and they let us on our way.
to reiterate, we are fine, no problemos, everything is ok, dan didn't actually get arrested, and rickys spanish improved somewhat!

We arrived in Oaxaca yesterday evening to hostel Mezkalito, which is pretty nice, weve arrived at festival time so the streets were buzzing with people, music, street markets, shows etc. we went out for what was possibly the best meal of our lives and the festival doesnt even start properly til today!
xx

Advertisement



22nd July 2008

Although it's certainly illegal to drink on the streets, many times this is tolerated. The policemen should have accepted your apology (usually they just confiscate your drinks), but they took advantage of you, so they asked you for a bribe. You should have written down the patrol number and reported them to the tourist police office.
23rd July 2008

Arreested
Glad to see you being a good boy, dont let that Dan lead you astray. Seriously...... sounds like you're both having a great time, look after each other. Steve

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb