Oaxaca, Huatulco, Puerto Angel


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
October 10th 2007
Published: October 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Plan: to revisit the Mexican state of Oaxaca, where 20 years ago I lived in the capital city, dated a Federale policeman, and was on one of those year long adventures. (Which became a year and a half, and which my sister refused to return from.)

Where 20 years ago I swam in a huge aquarium-like tidal pool near Puerto Angel, salt water trophies nipping my toes.
Where 20 years ago there was no Huatulco resort, though they were getting ready for it, by relocating the villagers. Ahem.
Where I met my first scorpion, and learned to hold it with a shoe, slip a drinking straw over its tail, tie the straw on with floss, and run around laughing and flinging it on others.

Itinerary - two weeks - circle route, Huatulco, Puerto Escondido, Puerto Angel, bus to Oaxaca, enjoy the city, small plane back, beach and Sant Cruz, home.
Air only, in and out of Huatulco, no reservations.

First issue: How to get from Calgary to Huatulco, direct, and not spend a lot?

Prices of flights from Calgary vary greatly:

Direct flights with Westjet (well trusted), air only, sell for about $1000. return, all in.
There is also a direct with Skyservice and one with Sunwing. Much cheaper.
One must weigh the merits of trustworthiness against the merits of spending less to get there. Hmmm.

Sometimes it's possible to get a cheap all-inclusive package, for not much more than air-only airfare. that way there is a bed and food and drink waiting, at no charge, on the return journey. There is one for not much more than the Westjet flight.

Chris the photograper, from Prince George, will be joining me.

Sunwing wins hands down on economy - $759.15, air only, direct. Relliabilty as to shedule, well, us backpackers like to take our chances - nu?
We could grab a small hotel in Santa Cruz, on one of the most popular beaches. Or Crucecita.
We are mulling...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb