VIVA OAXACA!!! Part 2


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
July 24th 2007
Published: July 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Security Check PointSecurity Check PointSecurity Check Point

At this location we did not have to get off the bus, but one of the officers did board the bus for a short time.
After an incredible and very relaxing time on the coast, we headed back to Oaxaca for a few days. Our best option was to travel during the day because a storm had rolled in, which lasted for a few days. Once again, our timing was perfect as everyday was perfect on the coast for us. It was quite an interesting journey back to Oaxaca though. It was suppose to be a more direct route, meaning not as curvy, but I don't think there are any less curvy routes in Mexico. You have to give these bus drivers a lot of credit in Mexico too, especially when it rains. Not only do they have to navigate the bus through the mountainous terrain, but when it rains it is like an obstacle course with either animals or large rock/boulders on the road.

After approx. 9 hours we arrived safely in Oaxaca City. We were happy to return, but ironically a few hours before we returned the Oaxacan people (APPO) against the commercial Guelaguezta started a riot near the auditorium of where the festival is held. It lasted for more than three hours with burning buses, tear gas, fighting, etc. While it looked bad on the news that we saw later that night, there was no tension nor overspill in the tourist areas such as the zocalo, where we had been during the late afternoon and evening. According to one of the travel guides we had met along the way, 900 hotel reservations were cancelled that day due to what the media reported. Some of the business in Oaxaca lost a years worth of income in that one day. Carlos and I , along with many other people, are proof, that it is not always as the media portrays it. We were there and even stayed a couple more days after the incident. I feel sorry for all of those people that cancelled their trips to Oaxaca. Once again, you can't base your opinions, nor actions on what the media reports! VIVA OAXACA!!!

We enjoyed this visit just as much as the last visit. You could say we already had our daily routine here in Oaxaca. It was as if we had never left. Even on a rainy day, the streets and zocalo were full of people. There was just as much energy on a rainy day as a day and
The Case of the Missing Glass Bottles Has Been Solved!The Case of the Missing Glass Bottles Has Been Solved!The Case of the Missing Glass Bottles Has Been Solved!

All of the 7 Up and Coke are in the old school glass bottles. The taste is like I remember from when I was a child.
sunny day. That is a true testament of the people and their culture. We took a day trip to the ruins of Monte Albon as well, which will be the next entry.

Enjoy the photos!

We are off to the state of Chiapas next followed by the states of Campeche, Quintana Roo and the Yucatan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb