Monte Alban


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca » Monte Albon
July 24th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monte Alban, one of the most spectucular ruined cities among Mesoamerica, is located just outside of Oaxaca City. We took at bus from a local hotel in Oaxaca City with many other tourists, which was the most economical way. It was a 20 minute ride up and over the mountains on a one-lane curvy road. We are still not sure how other buses passed us coming from the other direction.

Upon arrival to Monte Alban around 10:00 a.m.the fog was quite thick, but little by little the fog lifted and the sky opened up a bit. We were lucky that we started as early as we did because by the time we finished around 12:30 p.m. there was a severe downpour of rain.

Monte Alban was known in ancient times by its Zapotec name, Danni Dipaa, the site's present "Monte Alban" label was probably coined by a local Spaniard because of its resemblance to a similarly named Italian hilltop town. The great city atop the hill reigned for at least 1,200 years, between 500 B.C. and A.D 750.

It was amazing to be there while the fog was heavy because the more it lifted and the sky opened the more that was revealed in a very mystical setting. Monte Alban sits high on a mountain and completely surrounded by hilltops and valleys . It can easily be seen that the original inhabitants cultivated their fruits and vegetables on the hillsides and in the adjacent valleys.

In A.D 800, Monte Alban, mysteriously cut off from the rest of Mesoamerican, was declining in population and power. By A.D. 1000, the city was virtually abandoned. The reasons whether drought, disease, revolt, or the consequent of loss of the necessary supplies remain an enigma. Monte Alban may have been abandoned, but it was not forgotten.

After walking around the ruined city for more than hours and with the rain approaching, it was time to go, but we truly enjoyed spending time at Monte Alban. It is an important site to visit.

We only had to wait for 20 minutes or so outside in the rain until our bus returned. We had a very small tree that was somewhat of a shelter, but we were still soaked by the time the bus returned. When the bus arrived, it was full of tourists and to their disadvantage they had no choice, but to exit the bus so we could all get on and return to Oaxaca City. I don't think they enjoyed touring Monte Alban quite as much as we did.

After two months in Mexico it finally happened...yes, Carlos and I actually purchased an umbrella. I am happy to say we made it two months into the summer without purchasing one, but it seems as we progress further into the rainy season, we are going to need it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Monte Alban Building of the Dancers/ DanzantesMonte Alban Building of the Dancers/ Danzantes
Monte Alban Building of the Dancers/ Danzantes

This is Monte Alban's oldest monumental construction. Its walls are graced with a dancers, which were probably taken from chiefs vanquished by Monte Alban's armies. Their headresses, earplugs, bracelets and necklaces mark them aong the nobility while glyphs around theri heads identify each individual.
Main Ball CourtMain Ball Court
Main Ball Court

This ball court, like all Oaxaca ball courts, had no stone ring (for supposed goals), but rather four mysterious niches at the court's I-end corners.


27th July 2007

padre
me da gusto saber que se la esten paando a todo dar, se lo merecen, y no se olviden de los amigos traiganme algo jajaja, nos vemos pronto

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb