Yeehaw salsa dancing!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
August 6th 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey y'all! I'm fine and dandy here in Mexico, with EXACTLY 2 weeks to go! School's alright, almost done with all the compositions I have to write, got a couple more presentations to go, finals, and done.

This last weekend was a blast. On Friday night a few of us went to the local salsa club where we take lessons and watched our friend Kirsten compete in a competition, in which she won! She's now extending her stay here for 3 more weeks to go to the finals, and if she and her dance partner win that, then she might go to nationals in November (in which case she would extend graduating by a semester). I wouldn't mind her graduating in the spring with me because then i would have a salsa partner to go out with in Berkeley.

Saturday a bunch of us went to a town north of Morelia called Ucareo for the Pear Fair. Kirsten also performed there along with 6 other pairs from salsa. There were other performers as well, it was fun to watch the Mariachi singers and other bands play. One of the salsa dancers family is from Ucareo and her family was operating a pear stand so we got to try pear licour, candied pears, and preserves...soooo delicious! Afterwards we went to her house (there were 25 of us) and her family fed us. When we walked back through the plaza a traditional band was playing and all guys grabbed us and started dancing (I learned a new traditional dance!). We couldn't find a place to stay for the night there so we went back to Morelia to hang out at another friends house. We all crammed into his tiny living room and people passed around 2 guitars and we all sang (us Americans mostly watched because we didn´t know the words) until 6:30 in the morning! We slept for 2 hours and then went home. It was such a blast to hang out with all our Mexican friends from salsa.

This weekend I'm going to D.F. (Distrito Federal) aka Mexico City with a few friends and am excited to experience big city life. I will definitely be careful with my belongings because others who have traveled there already were pickpocketed. I want to see the famous Anthropology museum, Frida Kahlo's house, and go the Teotihuacan pyramid ruins outside of town. Will update you all when I come back next week!

Hope you're all doing well, adios!
Mon



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

marco y kris (the american!)marco y kris (the american!)
marco y kris (the american!)

regional salsa champs and going to nationals!
la casa encantadala casa encantada
la casa encantada

almost exactly like the mystery spot in santa cruz, ca


16th September 2008

hi
I found all your posts here very interesting and therefore I have subscribed to your blog to keep myself updated and curious about your new blog posts and your next happenings. As per your name you seems to be and Indian, and I think you have spent most of your life in US and you know Spanish very well, if I am not wrong. One thing is for sure after reading your posts that you like eating (_food obviously) very much and loves travelling. Overall I enjoyed reading your blog. Waiting for your next posting. :)

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb