Mexico 2016


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Puerto Vallarta
January 11th 2016
Published: January 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Boca de Tomatlan

Monday

Today was an adventurous day, a three hour walk to Las Animas Beach. We started out by walking down to Boca, past the hill down into town, a little further down the main road, then down some steps to cross the river in Boca. Many fishing boats and shore birds in this area. The path to Animas takes us first to Colomitos Beach. The path has been improved since we were last there, several years ago. More stone steps have been installed, and more railings along the ocean cliffs. But it was still up and down, up and down. Beautiful views of the ocean from the cliff. Last time we were at Colomitos we had the beach to ourselves. Now there is a boardwalk leading to a restaurant hanging over the ocean. This is a reservation only place, with most customers coming in by boat. The beach area had quite a few people, with a yacht and jet skis in the water. The water is still a beautiful aqua blue.

This time it was easy to find the trail from Colomitos to Las Animas. This was a rougher trail than the first one, with lots of rock climbing and no railings. The forests were filled with butterflies and wildflowers. Heard many birds, but saw only a few. We did see pelicans on the rocks, however. One area was somewhat of a trap. A ladder was laid down over the trail, forcing you to go to one side. A barbed wire was strung across the side. I caught my shoe on the wire, but luckily I was wearing tennis shoes and not sandals. We got around the area and continued on our way.

The sand on Animas Beach is great for walking, very fine and few shells. The beach is lined with restaurants. Most try to lure you in. But we checked them all out, looking at the menus. We ended up at the last one on the beach, Troncon's. We ordered garlic and diablo fish filets with home-made lemonade. Very good, and half the price of the first restaurant. Fun watching the kids sit in the sand, letting the waves come up over them.

Decided to take the water taxi back. This picks you up on the beach pier. The pier area was filled with boats, both tourist and fishing. This was quicker and easier on the legs than walking back another three hours! We did have to wait almost an hour for the taxi. The taxi never seemed to show up, so we took another boat back. Our boat had fewer people than most, so it felt a little safer, although it did speed along and I hung on to the seat very tightly.

After a stop at the grocery store in Boca, we took the bus back to our hotel. Have to plan another adventure for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb