Mexico 2017


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Zihuatanejo
January 12th 2017
Published: January 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Left home before 5am to catch our 6:50 flight. No problems, very short lines at security. Flight left on time, and arrived in Zihuatanejo about 11:30. We only had carry-on, got a green light at customs inspection, so we got through very quickly. First stop was the ATM, which gave us 21.4 pesos per dollar, even after the conversion fee. You buy a taxi ticket at the airport, then pick up your ride outside. The 20 dollar taxi ride to the hotel was higher than we expected. You can find cheaper taxis away from the airport, but it is a very long walk with luggage.

Our cab took us to the door of Hotel Zihua Express, which we had reserved through Booking.com. Hotel was clean and quiet, very friendly and helpful host. Balcony looked over the city market area. Very convenient to banks, the market, and the bus depot. $33 per night. The hotel has six floors, with a winding circular stairway, and a large patio area overlooking the mountains on each floor.

We got settled, walked around the city. Many new statues erected since we were last here. Many pigeons. Made a couple of purchases (knife to cut our breakfast fruit, and a belt for me (a necessity rather than an accessory). Stopped for lunch at Fonda Dona Licha on Los Cocos, a favorite from other trips. Good Food and extremely reasonable prices. Our total bill was $7, which included two lemonades each, spaghetti, tortillas, and entrees of chicken/vegetable soup and fajitas.

We stopped to check out Hotel Kioto, also very conveniently located. We have stayed there on other trips and liked it. We reserved a third floor room with a balcony for seven days, starting Saturday, $20 per night. Headed back to the hotel. Time for a siesta. An 80 degree temperature change and a very early start can tire you out.

Walked through town later in the evening. Shops and markets start closing up about 7:00. Lots of families out, visiting in chairs along the sidewalks. Stopped at the market bakery. Lynn, we found banana bread! Got that, a couple muffins, and a fruit pastry, for about 60 cents! Really splurged on dinner. Found Taqueria el Pastorcita. Got 10 tacos (small but delicious) with many sauces, two beers, and a coke, all for $5.

Back to the hotel. Watched the full moon from the patio on our floor, and could see a girls' basket ballgame under a lit dome in the distance. Very good start for our adventure.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb