Mexico - Zihuatanejo (Villa del Sol)


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Zihuatanejo
November 19th 2006
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Rising SonThe Rising SonThe Rising Son

Luke gets a tattoo at Potesi
This blog by Lucas:

Tequila, scorpion honey, harsh dew of the doglands, essence of Aztec, crema de cacti; tequila, oily and thermal like the sun in solution; tequila, liquid geometry of passion; Tequila, the buzzard god who copulates in midair with the ascending souls of dying virgins; tequila, firebug in the house of good tatse; O tequila, savage water of sorcery, what confusion and mischief your sly, rebellious drops do generate!



Ok, so Tom Robbins wrote that in Still Life with Woodpecker, but Tom and Carolyn Hrushka-Crane lived it in the form of enormous Margarita's at Elvira's Restaurant on our last night (their first) in Zihuatenejo. Only a few hours later, Jac is awakened by the evil gods of food poisoning, while the first light of morning inspires Tom to sing Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" in wall-shaking acapella, followed immediately by a long call to Ralph on the Big White Telephone as he pushes Jacqui aside - I guess hangover trumps food poisoning.

This was the grand finale of an amazing week at Villa del Sol on Playa La Ropa in Zihuatenejo, Mexico. Is there any greater pleasure in life than playing on the beach with a fearless 5 year old boy and equally if not more fearless 3 year old girl? And is there anything more surprising and hilarious than a 3-year announcing that she's dehydrated? When did she start throwing out 4 syllable words? This was the Buchanan Family Thanksgiving with Uncle Lucas and Aunt Jacqui, our nephew Luke and niece Ashley, Grandma Lindy and Grandpa Buck, and two of our best friends - Matt and Kristin Buchanan.

We had a few days of perfect bodysurfing swells on Playa La Ropa, and even though our hearts stopped a few times after seeing Luke and Ash lost in the froth of a wave ten times the size of either of them, they always popped up with their fluorescent floaties with big smiles on their faces (fearless!). Note to self: business opportunity - adult floaties - those things are awesome. Other highlights included Luke and Ash both parasailing (fearless!), playing golf alongside rather large crocodiles, kayaking to Playa Las Gatas, mistaking dolphin fins for shark fins, drinking a few Careterras (beer, lime juice and tequila), and making up "challenges" for Luke and Ash so that they would eventually get tired and let us nap (didn't work).

Thanksgiving was spent 45 minutes south at Potesi, where we substituted grilled lobster/shrimp/red snapper, guacamole, tortillas and plenty of cold beer for the usual Turkey and trimmings. Potesi is a mellow spot where a river mouth meets the ocean, and you can hike up the river and float into big blue at a perfect Mexican pace. There are about 10 thatch-roofed restaurants
Thanksgiving Dinner at PotesiThanksgiving Dinner at PotesiThanksgiving Dinner at Potesi

Grilled Lobster, Grilled Huachinango (Red Snapper) and Grilled Prawns
waiting to serve you, if you can roust the owners out of their hammocks.

At the end of our Zihuatenejo week we realized how lucky we are not to feel the depression of an ended vacation, as we will head up the coast with Tom and Caroline in search of more pacific Mexico adventure and another 8 or 9 months of traveling! Next stop Troncones.

Zihuatenejo recommendations:

Get a Hamburger from the street vendor in front of the main plaza (basketball courts) downtown (Senor Hamburguesa). His preparation is meticulous, there are no subsititutions or ommisions of the ingredients (two kinds of cheese, jalapenos, diced onions, diced tomatoes, ham, mustard, ketchup and mayo), and he has never been witnessed smiling. Rivals Grumpy's in Sun Valley for best burger in the world.

Villa del Sol Amazing beachside resort with breakfast and lunch served on a table in the sand next to your lounge chairs. Best tuna sandwich in the Americas.

Kayak to Playa Las Gatas and order the Sopes de Camarones at Restaurant Amador (all they down the beach away from the aggressive restaurant hagglers).

Wander around the main public market downtown (not the tourist markets).




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The mini-pool at Villa del SolThe mini-pool at Villa del Sol
The mini-pool at Villa del Sol

in front of our apartments
Luke goes Parasailing!Luke goes Parasailing!
Luke goes Parasailing!

On Playa La Ropa
Ashley goes Parasailing!Ashley goes Parasailing!
Ashley goes Parasailing!

The guy holding her is my brother Matt (see just prior picture). It takes him about a day to achieve deep Mexican tan and beer gut.
The Elder BuchanansThe Elder Buchanans
The Elder Buchanans

Margarita-inspired


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 103; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb