Taxco


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Taxco
July 30th 1965
Published: October 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

TaxcoTaxcoTaxco

Taxco de Alarcón, México. Prominent in the photo is Iglesia de Santa Prisca, built in 1751-1758. Taxco, founded in 1539, is known for its silver jewelry and silversmith work. Mexico008
Taxco is known as the Silver City of Mexico. The city is located in the state of Guerrero, 106 miles (170 km) from Mexico City. Silver has been mined in the area since pre-Colombian times. The Spanish picked up the mining pace during the colonial era. The city preserved its Spanish colonial look with its narrow cobblestone streets and Baroque church. The city is known to visitors today for its craftsmanship in silversmithing and fashioning of silver jewelry. Shops selling articles of silver line the main street. My mother and I stayed overnight in Taxco before returning to Mexico City and our Mexicana flight back to Los Angeles. Mr. Stadleman had arranged with a tour company to provide a guide and car for us for the two-day overnight visit to Taxco. However, there appeared to have been some sort of falling out or problem, and the guide took the car back to Mexico City after dropping us off at the hotel. He said the tour the next day would pick us up, which they did. We made a stop in Cuernavaca on the way back from Taxco to see the 16th-century cathedral, once a monastery.

My mother would refer to
Cuernavaca CathedralCuernavaca CathedralCuernavaca Cathedral

Cuernavaca Cathedral - Catedral de la Asunción de María. Founded in 1525 by Franciscans as the Monasterio de la Asunción de María. Built in 1529-1574. It became a cathedral in 1891. IMG00127
these varied travels during July 1965 as the “Triple Trip.” I don’t think such an extraordinarily wide-ranging excursion at one go would be feasible today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb