Mexico 2017


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Barra de Potosi
January 16th 2017
Published: January 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Noisy rooster by the hotel this morning. A good alarm clock! Had breakfast down the street at Dona Lupe. Eggs, fruit, tortillas, pancakes, juice and coffee, total $5.

Today we went to Barra de Potosi, a little fishing village about twenty miles south of Zihuat. As we were walking to the bus depot, we saw a bus headed for Petatlan (further south than Potosi) and hopped on. The driver was fast and aggressive, so we made good time. There is always an assistant on the bus. He hangs out the door yelling "Peta, Peta" to announce the bus, and runs off occasionally to stamp a route sheet. Loud Mexican music played on the bus, and we made several stops along the way to pick up passengers. We were the only non-locals on the bus. We were worried we might go by our stop, but the driver, the assistant, and the guy in the seat in front of us knew where we were going, so no problem. The people here are always friendly and very helpful. Ticket to Potosi was $1 per person.

When we got to the highway stop for Potisi, we saw the open truck waiting to take passengers down to the beach area. We waited a while, and he took off when he had seven riders. Most of the road is now paved; it was not on our last trip. Most of the area is trees, with an occasional home here and there. A few shops are up by the highway. Very few animals, just a couple of dogs and a few roosters.

Got off the truck down by the beach, and walked a bit to find a place with hammocks and a good seafood menu. The hammock was Bob's top priority!
Very few people when we first arrived, but it started to fill up toward noon. This is an extremely peaceful spot, where the estuary goes in and out with the tides. The estuary was quite wide, but very shallow. We saw fishermen walking across to the other side. A few children were playing at the water's edge. A few men were fishing from shore, with birds flocking around for a free meal. A boat was crabbing along the shore. They picked up crabs with a long-handled net and threw them in a cooler.

Later in the afternoon we ordered lunch. Garlic and Diablo shrimp, salad, rice, and tortillas. Delicious, $6 per plate, plus our drinks. Walked the beach, then headed back to the highway with the truck. The bus returned us right by our hotel.

Later we headed back to Taqueria el Pastorcita for a good dinner. Picked up breakfast items for tomorrow's breakfast on the way home. The lady at the market bakery recognized us and pointed us to the banana bread without any prompting. Guess we are now the banana bread tourists!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb