Acapulco


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
May 20th 2011
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Acapulco is nothing to write home about. It's kind of like a Mexican Surfers Paradise with more spring break type bars, beach hawkers, and a higher crime rate. We stayed our first night in a place called Hostel K3 which provided us with a room about the size of a standard New Zealand closet. It did, however, have air conditioning which we were very appreciative of. The next day we moved down to a Hotel near the Zocolo, just around the corner from the world famous Acapulco cliff divers. That night we walked up and watched a number of adolescents throw themselves off a 33metre cliff into a churning pool of water below. I have jumped off a number of cliffs and diving boards in my time but nothing even remotely close to 33 metres. Needless to say, it was very impressive.

The other highlight from Acapulco was a boat trip we took to an island near the entrance to the harbour. For around $15 USD each we got a boat trip out to the island via another cliff diving area, a buffet lunch, and an open bar! The water was a bit rough around the island so no one was swimming, and a number of locals refused to get off the boat. It wasn't rough enough to keep Claire and I away from free food and an open bar though!! That night we stopped by a local karaoke bar for a few quiet beers. As soon as we sat down we became the centre of attention, and the couple who owned the bar came and joined us at our table. They spoke English better than we spoke Spanish, but it was still quite hard to communicate. They were very pleasant but kept trying to get us to buy them drinks so we decided to go back to the hotel. Claire and I both got quite a strange vibe from the locals at that bar so we decided to avoid it from then on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb