Mexico City


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mexico city is absolutely amazing. There is so much going on. So much history, so much culture, with the added edge of being one of the worlds more dangerous cities.

We stayed in a place called Hostel Amigo on Isabel La Catolica; an awesome hostel in my opinion. As soon as we walked in, an enthusiastic barman asked us where we were from and signed us up for that evenings trip to the Mexican Wrestling. Luckily we had a few hours pre-wrestling prep at the hostel bar before they shuttled us to the stadium.

Mexican Wrestling involves a number of lycra clad men, girls in bikinis, ample amounts of beer, and midgets in parrot suits. How can you not have a good time? After a few hours of cheering for characters such as 'stukka', 'senor plata', and 'porky (the fat man)', we returned to the Hostel, where the enthusiastic bartender began free-pouring tequila down our throats. Needless to say we had an awesome night!

The next morning we awoke with a bit of a hangover and set out to explore the city by foot. We ended up visiting: Templo Mayor, an excavated Aztec ruin in the centre of Mexico City; the main cathedral, which is slowly sinking due to bad foundations and subsiding land (it has subsided over ten metres since the Spanish arrived in the 1500's); and a number of other buildings around the Zocolo (main square).

The next day we took a tour from our hostel to Teotihuacán, the main Aztec complex located about an hour north of Mexico City. This place is awesome. If you are ever in Mexico City you should definitely go and see it. Unlike Templo Mayor, the Spanish didn't destroy the buildings meaning that most of them are still in tact. There are a number of medium sized alters as well as two huge pyramids (the pyramid of the sun and the pyramid of the moon) spread out along the 'avenue of the dead'. The pyramid of the sun is the third largest pyramid in the world and they let you climb it to the very top!

Next stop Acapulco for some much needed beach relaxation!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Guadalupe RelicThe Guadalupe Relic
The Guadalupe Relic

Long story... google it.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb