High Blue Star in Mexico City : day five


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
September 1st 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

On day five we went to, what I believe was, Tepotzlan. (I may be corrected on that name and will change it if it comes up). A beautiful town located in the valley between two mountains. We visited some of Leonardo's family. The yards of the two houses almost fixed together were full of flowers of every sort.




A bit later we decided to have a look around town. I was doing a bit of shopping for some friends in a local street market when i noticed a few sprinkles of rain again. The street vendors started frantically moving all of their wares. It was such a flurry of people running around and next thing...downpour. Probably the stongst one during our stay. The five of us took shelter in vacant stalls of the market. A steel frame with a tarp tied down over it. They were on the side of a hill so water just ran under us and didn't puddle up.

The rain lasted for about 30 minutes and you could tell when the river in the street was full of water from the mountains by the sticks and mud. The little river in the market that separated me from the rest of the group was about 2-3 inches deep, 8 feet wide and running fast. I half expected to see children floating by. Brian made a quick dash to my side of the market and we realized that may not have been the best idea. The rain was coming down harder and starting to come through the tarp. So what...we get a little wet right?
Here is how it stood;




Steel frame all around us.
Lightning in the air.
Water racing below our feet.
A light hanging from the roof with half-assed wiring and rain dripping from it
All of this leading to the power box on the wall which is also wet and looks like this:



As the rain slowed we took shelter in an old Catholic church for awhile and had a look around in a convent on the grounds. I believe it had been there for nearly 400 years and was in the process of being restored. Frescoes adorned the hallways and a central courtyard and we could hear children playing in the yard of the school.


After the rain stopped we found a slightly upscale restaurant and had a good lunch before returning to Mexico City to crash. The show is tomorrow and that would be a long day.

Advertisement



22nd September 2006

good story
I like it, Mexico seems nicer than I would think
22nd September 2006

Take Me Down to Mexico City Where the Grass is Green...
Sounds like you guys had quite the little adventure there! Wish I could'a joined the excursion! ;D

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb