High Blue Star in Mexico : day two


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
August 29th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning looking for a coffee shop. We walked by a few old churches (the names of which escape me) until we landed at La Selva in Coyohuacan. For the majority of the party, this was their first time ordering food in Mexico. Brian and I each ordered Chilaquiles with ham orange juice and coffee. Here we had a good chat with our host, Leonardo, and got to know each other better.



After breakfast we stopped in a few shops and the bank to exchange currency. Martin requsested a stop at the Freida Kahlo museum which was in the neighbourhood.

Eventually we found ourselves in search of beer which took us the nearly the only bar we could find, "Guadalupanos". This place was decked out in a bull fighting motiff. Stuffed heads of bulls were mounted to the walls next to the handbills that bragged of the ferrocity of said bulls. Spanish style wrought iron everywhere. The people in this bar took it all seriously. Men played dominoes at the bar with the bartender. It seemed this bar was for the older crowd but...they had beer.

On the way back to our flats we stopped by the local grocery store. Mainly out of curiosity, but also to grab a few light breakfast things and... beer. Six packs of Negra Modelo, Corona, Pacifico, and Leon. We dropped them by the flats and then went in search of a cool coffee shop. We found one but it was completely packed. It was called "Bizarro Cafe". They even were advertising our upcoming show in their entry way.

Since they were closed we wandered for awhile untill we stumbled on "La Casa de los Tacos". We spent the day mostly in our neighbourhood and decided to head home at around 11pm. Tomorrow is a lot of travel by bus and subway to the pyramids of Teotihuacan northeast of Mexico City.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb