Day 8 &9 San Cristobal


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Was fine on the night bus after all and slept all the way thankfully. Was a pretty fancy bus which wasn't remotely as bad as some of the ones we travelled on in Vietnam! Its way colder here as we've gone back up the mountains again and the hotel and town isn't nearly as nice as Oaxaca. Had a bit of a drama when I first arrived as couldn't find my credit cards. Blonde bimbo that I am had hidden them and hadn't remembered! Thankfully found them before I had cancelled them! Again another chill out day of wandering around before going out for dinner for one of the girls birthdays. They have an unusual custom of shoving your head in the cake which was funny! I've been very sedate since I got here and again had one drink and headed home to bed. For once it's not the Irish being the pissheads!

The following days we went on a trip to Canon del Sumidero which was very impressive. We got a boat down the river in the canyon and saw a beautiful waterfall that reflected the sun and lit all the rocks up which made it look like a Christmas tree. Better than the lights on Grafton Street any day! Also saw these two huge alligators so needless to say we weren't keen to go for a swim!

From there we went to visit a Mayan village, San Juan Chamula. Visited a Mayan house which was really interesting especially as they are so disconnected to the outside world. Their church was also really interesting and an unusual mixture of Catholic and Mayan. They drink Coca Cola in one of their ceremonies to ward off evil spirits! Didn't do much that evening and huddled up in bed early - its sooo cold here!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb