Campeche The Fort World Heritage Site


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Campeche
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Staying Francise Drake

Places to see [ Campeche


May 7, 2007, Campeche has always been a strategic port and a wealthy one; so it was pillaged and burned many times. Thus a new walled city began. Campeche, today, is the least visited of the states on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Campeche has colorful buildings lining its narrow streets. Having someone do the laundry is almost as cheap as sitting in the laundry-mat; it was a “no brainer”. We are off to visit the forts that were put in place to protect the city. It is a very hot day, so we were back to the hotel for a swim…. Oops no pool. Well a shower and a siesta is a smart, practical idea.
After dinner we walked to the plaza and there was music and dance competition. Kel found an optical store and ordered transition lenses a lot cheaper than the US. (She had her script from home).
May 8, we tried to hop on the tram and see the town, but there were not enough tourists. So we rented bikes and rode the trail along the Gulfo de Mexico. These sorry looking bikes were old, dirty coasters with tires in need of air (no pump). After an hour of trying to bike we headed back and continued on foot. The temps and humidity are over 90, it is time to seek shade and a rest.
Pizza in the Yucatan….We asked the clerk at the hotel to recommend a pizza place and explained what we wanted. He ordered for us in Spanish. Well, we received a pizza with no pepperoni,… but some kind of ham and no mozzarella, but the typical Mexican cheese,…. and pickles! Yes lots of pickles. Honest we don’t make this up ….the pizza was covered with pickles. It is too hot to eat anyway.





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb