Chac, the rain god comes through!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Campeche » Xpujil
May 9th 2007
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post




STAYING
Chicanna Eco-village

PLACES TO VISIT/SEE
PLACES TO VISIT/SEE
Balamku

Becan

Chacana There is no information on this site on the web

Xpujil

Xpujil

We picked up the glasses in Campeche and began our long drive south and east, about a six-hour drive. We need to talk about the roads in the Yucastan. There is no shoulder and people drive way too fast. As one approaches a town “sometimes” there is a sign warning drivers of “TOPEAS” (toe-Pays) which are huge speed bumps, however, often there are no signs and WOW! the whole car takes a bang and it feels like it is falling apart. Many cars and trucks on the road are not “road-worthy”. As we were driving, an on-coming bus was blinking its lights, we came around the bend to a large dump truck that had lost its entire “WHEEL” from the driver’s side, and it was just laying on the “highway” both wheel and truck. Also along the roads are the bus stops, with people waiting. They all look alike.
Chicanna Maya Ruins is just across the highway from the Chicanna Eco-village, our home for tonight. At Chicanna Ruins we visited our old friend, “Chac” the god of rain-“mucho importante” in this dry, hot jungle. We visited a tower dedicated to Chac, and his long hook-nose.
Bob is really into Maya Ruins, so on we go to Becan, and Zpujil. We are very close to the Guatemala border. Bob climbed the pyramid; it was just too hot for me. We returned to the Eco-village for a swim and dinner. As we were swimming a tour bus with German tourists pulled in. They ate, slept and were back on the bus at 6AM. Glad we are not traveling on a bus.
Guess what? At dinner time it rained---Chac was pleased?! The first rain since we arrived, not a cooling rain…. but wet!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Maureen holding up the wall of a great archMaureen holding up the wall of a great arch
Maureen holding up the wall of a great arch

Notice the arch Mayan was different


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb