One Bad Day


Advertisement
Published: January 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The mother of all storms hit Los Cabos this year. A category 4. It was horrific. I was on the other side of the continent when hurricane Odile landed and I felt helpless as I received play-by-play posts from family, friends, and the media, until the cell phone towers toppled and Cabo was cut off from the world. Like anyone who regularly visits this region, we all have the NOAA (National Oceanic... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Skeleton buildingsSkeleton buildings
Skeleton buildings

Most windows were blown out of buildings by debris and pressure
Waiting it outWaiting it out
Waiting it out

Most were smart enough to find shelter in community centers and wait out the storm
Streets in ruinsStreets in ruins
Streets in ruins

Many of the streets were blocked by trees and electricity poles.
Military evacuationsMilitary evacuations
Military evacuations

Most tourists were taken out by military planes to Mexico city
Wait your turnWait your turn
Wait your turn

Many tourists from first world countries learned they aren't any more special than anyone else that day
Minimal rationsMinimal rations
Minimal rations

The army keep a close eye on the rations set aside
Looting 101Looting 101
Looting 101

Many took only food, but others took away shopping carts of valuables instead



11th January 2015

No Bad Days
I never knew of any of this...fascinating on so many levels. How many of this information is from the media and how much was garnered from your sources on the ground?
11th January 2015

Yes, humanity to me is fascinating, the good, bad, and the ugly. Most of the information I gleemed came from first hand accounts, not media, however I did borrow a few photos illustrate the sheer nightmare the Los Cabos people endured the days after until I arrived.
11th January 2015

Trouble in paradise!
How great that you weren't there for the hurricane, but were able to go and help in the aftermath. I imagine that this was big news in North America, but down here in Peru, I heard nothing about it. Sunketing just wrote about recent disastrous floods in Malaysia about which I also knew nothing. Amazing the unreported disasters and recoveries going on all over the world, while the media focuses only on a small number.
11th January 2015

Isn't it amazing how we hear about some things, but others, not a word. I remember being in Australia when some crazy weather was occuring in Canada and it not being mentioned at all. And I too just read Sunketings post and hadn't heard about the flooding either. Hmm. and all this time I thought I was innodated by media coverage. Hope all is well in Peru!
11th January 2015

Cabo changed
I didn't realize the storm hit so hard. I know you've been going there for many, many years and have many friends who I'm sure have been impacted from this storm. In Mexico the divide between the rich and poor is very apparent. Interesting how quickly they "fixed" the tourist areas. I'm glad you were there to help. I'm sorry the people outside the tourist area were not given more help.
11th January 2015

I have one friend who lost everything. He and I have been friends since we were teenagers and I'm very close to his extended family who live in Oaxaca. Jaime and his wife are living under tarps at the moment with their three kids. I can barely stand it, but he just shrugs his shoulders and carries on. I've managed to help raise $3600 so far so he can start a rebuild. He of course is politely embarressed by this.
11th January 2015
Mad Max

Brilliant!
Beautiful photo Andrea!
11th January 2015
Mad Max

Thanks otra Andrea! Yes, this was taken by a friend of mine when hurricane Vance rolled in while I was there. Instead of being terrified, we threw caution to the wind. Sometimes you just have to do that.
13th January 2015

Damn!
I remember living in Houston when hurricane Ike hit us directly in September when it was hot as hell, the devastation was massive so I can only imagine how it was there. I personally was without electricity and water for over 2 weeks as crews from all over the U.S. descended upon Houston to get it back up and running. Your story and pics give a great glimpse into daily life and the aftermath of devistating events. Well done!!
15th January 2015

Oof, two weeks! that is glorified camping at its best. I'd try to make the best of it, but still it would be awful.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb