Toronto, Ontario & Montreal, Quebec- Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
May 29th 2012
Published: May 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

So visiting Canada has been an experience. Athough Toronto and Montreal are in the same country, they could not be further apart in likeness.

Toronto being a very multicultural city is very urban and almost 'hippie' in ways. With alot of quirky boutiques, outdoor restaurants and street entertainers. Reminded us alot of Melbourne, especially with its use of streetcars. We took a nice cruise over to Toronto Island where we had a lovely picnic, explored its parks and its infamous 'clothing optional' beaches 😊 Rode to the top of the CN tower (formally the worlds largest) and checked out its cool museums and Casa Loma castle. We hung out at the St Lawrence and Kensington markets, full of beautiful fresh foods, old antiques and thrift shops. Oh Oh and street meat, hot dog stands with all the condiments that put New York's to shame. We were lucky enough to be recomended a popular canadian cafe where Peter was able to get 'the best coffee of his life'! Really cheap too in comparison to star bucks etc.

We also went to a comedy club showcasing local up and coming comedians. Was an awesome night and they were all pretty funny. I was glad we opted for a table further from the stage as boy did the front row cop it 😊

And then of course there is the Niagara falls. Words don't really do this place any justice. It is truely magnificent. Unfortunetly on the day we were there a man decided to jump over the barriers and throw himself over the edge. Luckily (or maybe not so luckily) for him he was rescued. But they did shut down the journey behind the falls whilst this was in effect. We got to ride on the 'maid of the mist' a boat that goes right up to the falls. They make you wear a poncho as the spray from the falls is that wet. It really is an incredible experience and we know that it will be the closest we can get to the water without actually well.... going over. I could sit and watch the water cascading down for hours, very therapeutic.

Then you have Montreal.... Rich in history and european culture, and as Quebec is french speaking, it is very easy to forget you are in Canada. Alot of the locals (mostly the younger generation) do speak a little english though so it isn't too hard to get around. Was definelty a good test for europe next month. The historic churches, museums and old quaters are some of the best we have seen so far. Every where you turn is a beautiful site to be seen. Old Montreal is what many visitors come to Montreal for: old cobblestoned streets lined with buildings dating from the 17th through 19th centuries, grand old French restaurants, history museums, and the riverfront Old Port. But then you have the ultra modern 'underground city'. A city that is literally underground. It weaves though a 30km long stretch of shopping malls, restaurants, banks, offices, boutiques and subways. It takes a good few days to cover the area so there was plenty of excuses to keep going back 😊 We tried the national Quebec dish 'Poutine' It is a dish made of fries with cheese curds and gravy... You can also add a million other things to it to like bacon, mushrooms, capsicum, ground beef, sausage etc .etc Sounds weird I know but it is absolutly delicious...

Quebec city is also very beautiful. The old city is listed as one of UNESCO's world heritage sites. It holds the most photographed hotel in the world the 'Chateau Frontenac' A gorgeous 18th century building nestled on a cliff overlooking the St Lawrence river. It was near that we visited the Montmorency falls too... Awesome waterfalls about 84 m high (approx 30 more than Niagara) We got the gondola up to the suspension bridge directly above the falls, was really cool to watch the force of the water.

So Canada has been amazing, I think next time will be Vancouver and Banff. Wish we had more time.... Anywho, EUROPE here we come 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb