Canmore 2


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
June 10th 2018
Published: June 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Not a good start to the last day of our holiday,when we look out of our balcony window we can't see the nearby mountains and it is pouring with rain. This has been expected and although the rain did clear yesterday, today the forecast is for it to rain on and off all day. We debate returning to Johnston Canyon, but decide instead to drive around Lake Minnewanka or lake of the water spirit. Due to various damming projects, this is the largest and deepest lake in the mountain parks at 15 miles long and 470 ft deep. The drive around it is a 9.6 mile loop with many points of interest.

There are several lovely picnic areas around both this lake and the other bodies of water nearby, such as Two Jack Lake and Cascade Ponds. They all have, in addition to the usual picnic tables, a large shelter with a furnace and chimney for families to use. While we walking around the Lake Minnewanka picnic and boat launch area, we spied smoke coming from the chimney of one of these shelters and being inquisitive went to investigate. A young Canadian and his two young daughters were about to cook hot dogs and marshmallows on their roaring fire. There are large logs supplied, but he had brought an axe with him to chop them up. What a brilliant way to spend a Sunday morning!

We didn't walk too far around the 13.5 mile trail here as apparently, 2 weeks ago, a hiker had surprised a grizzly bear and her cub here. He had used his bear spray and rucksack in defence, but had suffered a damaged hand. Most of the trail is therefore closed at the moment. Since reading about this incident in a local paper the other day, we have bought a bear bell and attached it to our rucksack and try to talk loudly as we walk. (Not too hard for one of us!!).

After completing that very scenic drive we drove to Tunnel mountain, to follow the 6 mile route around and up this small mountain (5550 ft). Again there were many spectacular viewpoints along the way, despite the low cloud and occasional rain and drizzle. One parking area was next to a trail that led to the summit of the mountain, so we climbed the 1 mile switchback track and our reward was wonderful views of the Bow Valley.

Having skirted all around the town of Banff, both yesterday and today, we decided to visit it and do some shopping. It is much busier than Canmore, but again is surrounded by mountains. We bought some souvenirs of our time here in Canada and ate our final Canadian meal. We returned to our hotel room to begin the dreaded packing.

Sitting in our room all packed up, we have been looking back at our truly fabulous time in Canada. Every day has been such an adventure and we wish we could turn the clock back and do it all again!! Our wildlife count is : -
5 Bald Eagles and 2 Eagle chicks
8 Black Bears and 4 cubs
2 Grizzly Bears ( not totally wild)
Numerous red squirrels, Columbian Ground squirrels and golden mantled squirrels.
2 Hoary Marmots
Chipmunks
Numerous deer and 2 fawns
8 Elk
1 Moose
1 Mountain Goat
1 Mountain Sheep
1 Coyote/wolf (not sure which)
Baby Salmon
1 Garter Snake
Heron, Canadian geese, Harlequin and Mallard ducks.

That is all we can remember at present. Thank you all for sharing our adventure.













.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb