Yukon not be serious...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
August 5th 2009
Published: August 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Alaska HighwayAlaska HighwayAlaska Highway

It's very long.
No particularly good reason for the pun in the title, apart from the fact that we have been in the Yukon, and it was the obvious choice.

A few interesting facts:

Yukon is around 3.5 times the size of the UK
Yukon has a population of 33,000
22,000 of those people live in the capital, Whitehorse

So the other 10,000 live dotted around the place in very small clusters, and are mostly related to each other. Which is nice.

Instead of having people, Yukon has trees. Lots and lots of trees. And lakes. And mountains. And more trees. But because the soil is poor, the sunlight usually low and weak, and a layer of permafrost underlies much of the ground, the trees don't grow to be all that big and strong. In many areas, the resident spruce trees are short, and have limited foliage, which can make it look a little like seaweed. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding along the bottom of the ocean, which is certainly different.

Off to British Columbia next, and the Rockies.

PS for those of you who indulged in a game of 'Spot the arse' using the picture in
Shabby sprucesShabby sprucesShabby spruces

For that undersea riding experience.
the last entry, neither mine nor Christine's were involved - sorry!





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Strike a poseStrike a pose
Strike a pose

Ooohh, get Christine!


6th August 2009

Love the comment about people living in small clusters and are all related! Well all I can say is they must all look very much the same and be very close in lots of ways! Enjoy... Love the update - not quite sure about the title?! P.S. I've been ploughing my way through the ASI - I'm not sure I can take anymore .... maybe I should join you lot in Vancouver to escape! Ah yes today I will be meeting up with a consultant to see what we really do!!! Not sure I really know?!
7th August 2009

Shabby spruces
Excellent - thank you Max: I'm now hoping Yukon comes up in future quiz questions. Also: "because the soil is poor, the sunlight usually low and weak, and a layer of permafrost underlies much of the ground, the trees don't grow to be all that big and strong." - I find the same was true growing up in Northern England, which is my excuse for not growing up "big and strong" as well.
7th August 2009

by the way...
... while you're arsing around driving on the sea-floor in Yukon and British Columbia, last night at odd-film-society you missed an unusual double-bill of "How to Make a Monster" (1958) plus "Humanoids From The Deep" (1980) starring Doug McClure - so you're probably regretting going away.
8th August 2009

what do all those close relatives do in all that space!

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb