Top of the World Highway


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
July 27th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We made another trip over the Top of the World Highway, from Dawson City on the banks of the Yukon River, back into Alaska. It is a mostly dirt road, with high climbs and decents, along with the requiste hairpin turns. One of the highlights of the road is the quaint town of Chicken. The town consists of three restaurants that are a must see for the ALaskan traveler. I drove the first half of the trip into Chicken, then we powered on into ALaska and half the way to Anchorage. The next day we finished the drive back to Anchorage. We are over 8500 miles now... The unique thing about the roads up here is the permafrost. There is a constant layer of ice (frost) over which the ground defrosts a few inches during the summer. This frost as it freezes and melts causes the roads to "wave". Driving down the road, it is like being on a small roller coaster, you are constantly dipping up and down. It is very hard on the stomach, never mind the shoulders and back!
Of course, we got back to Anchorage and it is overcast and cold. Sue and I spent the day at the street fair. Great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020kb