Where Life Makes Sense


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Regina
June 24th 2006
Published: June 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

to weyburn


hoodoos in the desert???hoodoos in the desert???hoodoos in the desert???

This is in Writing on Stone Park along the Milk River.
"That's a load of crock sh#*!" > Grandma Bep, Swift Current, June '06.

Apparently life does not make sense in Saskatchewan for the saskatoon pie baker, but she sure was nice to us. We found shelter from the rainstorm in her cafe and befriended Grandma Bep.
There have been a lot of rainstroms... Even in Alberta's desert! We went to the Writing on Stone Provincial Park, supposedly a "desert", but there were gale-force winds and flooding from all the rain during our visit so I don't believe them.... We Loved the hand dryer in the batroom and the wood stove though where we dried out our soggy stuff. The park was incredible still with hoodoos everywhere! Some with petroglyphs carved by various native tribes who used the sacred Milk River Valley as a place to seek wisdom from Nappi, the creator, and leave legacies behond for thousands of years to come. Well worth the extra distance, and even the head winds. It was there that we discovered the rubber gloves to keep our hands warm though. Highly recommened for rainy rides.
On our way north we met a wheat farming couple near Etzikom, AB while seeking shelter from the wind
best campsite everbest campsite everbest campsite ever

Dugout in Herbert
for our poor tent. They were most gracoius to us. They even took us on a tour of the Hutterite colony which was most intriguing. The Hutterites are of German decent and live in colonies of up to 120 people. The colony is very organized with highly technological and productive farms. They even have cows with computerized tags in their ears so that they just tough the tag to a sensor to recieve their ration of food! Crazy, robot cows I thought!
Then off to Moose Jaw past the saltwater lakes near Chaplin where the Piping Plovers come to nest. We found shelter from the rain in a baseball dugout in Herbert; turns out dugouts are excellent camp shelters! In Regina we caught a Professional Bull Riding rodeo, wow, what an experience that was! Those guys are crazy! bulls and riders alike. The Wagner's in Regina were very kind to put us up, a hot shower and clean clothes were never so welcome. Thanks Burnadette!
Now we are in Weyburn where we intend to catch the country music jamboree and learn a few line dances to boot!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

landscaping on the prarielandscaping on the prarie
landscaping on the prarie

I guess gardeners don't have much work here, they musat get bored and make patterns with their trees!


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb