It's a cattle avalanche!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Medicine Hat
June 15th 2006
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today the funniest thing happened to us. Leanne and I woke up to someone saying, "Excuse me, there will be a herd of cattle coming through here in a few minutes, You might want to move your tent!"
Well, we have never packed up so quickly! Yikes, It was like running from a very slow moving avalanche! We got out just in the nick of time. Now we are drying off inside a visitor's centre where it is dry cause we have been stuck in the rain for all of Alberta....
I guess I should recap up to this point. We are now in Alberta! After 6 grueling mountain passes and many other climbs, our legs are glad to say farewell to BC. We did enjoy many of the quaint mining towns and really friendly folks who were more than willing to talk to us too. Nelson and Heldey were two of my favourites. We recieved some great advice while in Kereamos, BC (just outside of the Okanagan region); a true cowboy was staggering out of a saloon at 4 pm and saw us riding by and called after us, "Remember what they always say, Never say whoa when you're in a mud hole!" Well that was some great advice if we ever heard it!
We were very fortunate to meet up with Mary and Jim Miller in Fernie where they put us up at their lovely cabin. Thanks so much Mary and Jim for your gracious hospitality! I must also say thanks to Paul and the McKay's for the use of their condo in Sparwood, town of the world's largest truck don-cha-know!
In Pincher Creek we were spoiled once again by a very welcoming farming couple who invited us in to dry off/warm up and hear all sorts of tales from back-in-the-day in Pincher Creek, AL. I even learned how to cure a cow's indigestion!
Then we spent some time looking around gorgeous Waterton National Park, thanks Grandpere for the tip. The highlight there was Red Rock Canyon which is a brilliant red stream cut but the best part was the black bear that we practically came face to face with! Wow! That was a dream come true for me.
Ok, time to head back out into the rainy Albertan morning, hopefully the threatened tornado won't hit any time soon! But as they say, if you are to try to forecast weather in Alberta you are either a foreigner or a fool!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb