Where my Music's Playing


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Regina
September 24th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's always dangerous to write about experiences that occurred almost two months ago. With the passage of time comes a natural romantisization. The nostalgic part of my brain has already added a soundtrack and cut out the down time. But my warm feelings of Saskatchewan in summer never change. Dennie and I touched down in Regina tired and excited in early July with high expectations of weddings, bbq’s, family dinners, backyard parties, music festivals and camping trips. Another year brought change; relationships came and went, friends moved away and others returned, babies turned into toddlers, and failing football clubs transformed into Grey Cup Champions. Still, the sun brought with it an eruption of good vibes found only in such places as this.

In the way that John Steinbeck writes about the stink of Cannery Row with his glorious descriptions of the mundane and downright nasty, it is possible to transform this town through writing into a euphoric wonderland as if seen through the eyes of the citiy’s diminutive and delusional mayor.

You see, there are places in the world so un hospitable during long winter months, that civilized humans have no choice but to mirror the behaviour of their woodland counterparts. Those akin to bears eat more and gain winter weight prior to settling into an extended period of hibernation. Others react to the cold as migratory birds, seeking timeshares in Phoenix and Scottsdale. Others still, huddle together for warmth like penguins, smoking cigarettes outside bars, restaurants and downtown office buildings.

However, the most extreme arctic zones on the planet also tend to be prone to dramatic seasonal differences, wet cold springs and hot dry summers. As summer approaches in these sparsely populated stretches of land, a distinct change can be noticed in the people. Slowly at first, then with more intensity, people emerge from their holes rubbing their eyes to minimize the agitation to their rods and cones. Within days they have tuned up their bicycles and purchased early bird tickets to the bevy of summer time parties and festivals on offer.

Restaurants and bars who do not have a constant and loyal clientele begin to see increased sales as people move from their homes to the streets. Every corner has people meeting, reuniting, laughing and thriving instead of just surviving.

Even the less desirable elements of the city take on a more positive energy as the impoverished children of North Central have diving and summersault competitions at the local outdoor pools and the summer sun lends an air of beauty to the dilapidated warehouse on the periphery of down town.

Of course there are other places in the world where the routines and energy levels of the people are more constant. Where people are always living in the street and meeting and laughing, and reuniting, and thriving instead of just surviving.

Still, there is something different about short glorious summers; people dance a little bigger, laugh a little harder, and love a little more easily, knowing that around the corner is a long cold sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



30th September 2008

What is with that Cowboy hat??? Do I really ever want to go to Regina if people dress like that!! Now I can see your true colours Kris!!! Yeeeeee haaaar Serae xoxo

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb