Wot? Two Beaver Pelts for a Pitcher of Beer?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
September 29th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Who knows, this conversation might have taken place 300 years ago in a tavern in this beautiful city of Quebec, founded by Samuel de Chaplain for the booming Fur Trade.

When I learned that the River I was looking at, from the Broadwalk like structure called Dufferin Terrace, was named the St. Lawerence River; I started to reminisce of my school days in American History class. Unlike Math and other classes, history really stimulated my imagination, and names like Jacque Cartier, Samuel de Chaplain, Hudson Trading Co., and St. Lawrence River put me in a Walter Mitty state of mind.

Being in Quebec City, was almost like emerging from a Time Machine, as the City mainly kept it’s 18th Century appearance, for the most part. Even the newer part of the city, kept a low profile, with barely any tall buildings and was separated much from the older quaint part of town, by an existing city wall gate.

Hotel Fontenac, an orange high rise with green roofs, built in the late 1800’s dominated the city profile both in height and beauty. I never got tired of staring at it from all different angles. Strolling along the broadwalk, of Terrasse Dufferin with the Hotel at one end and The Citadel, an historic Fort at the other, was pleasurable pastime.

Outside the city were charming farm homes also old world like, and an interesting waterfall. Also a beautiful church built in the old Gothic French tradition.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

An Easier Alternative.An Easier Alternative.
An Easier Alternative.

A Funicular, an elevator on track.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb