A Druid, a Poet, a Knight and a Senator Walked into a Bar..........


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 23rd 2006
Published: September 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

A Druid, a Knight, a Poet and a Senator Walked into a Bar…..

Well, it didn’t really happen, but this journal is about Stonehenge, Warwick Castle, Strafford on the Avon and Bath, England. The title is just a cheap attempt to hopefully get people to read my journal and view my photos.

Even as a little kid in grade school, when I happened to see the picture of Stonehenge in England, in a book called the Book of Knowledge, I had a feeling that these stack of Rocks were really special, and to be able to see it in real life would be such a thrill. Some think it may have been constructed at the time of the Pyramids and I feel it’s safe to say, it doesn’t come close to the Pyramids in way of Engineering, effort or beauty, yet for some reason it holds almost the same fascination for some. Being able to actually view it was a dream come true for me.

Strafford on the Avon is where Shakespear spent a great part of his life, but I think he may have been born elsewhere. It’s a beautiful town with many Timber Buildings, not quite
Town of Strafford on the Avon.Town of Strafford on the Avon.Town of Strafford on the Avon.

Hometown of Shakespear.
as beautiful as those in Germany, but still great to see so many in one town. Also was able to see Ann Hathaway’s Cottage. Always had a fascination for Thatch Roof homes. Also got to see Sweet Avon.

Warwick Castle stirred the imagination as it seemed like it was constructed to see battle, and being so far from London, one can only imagine it may have been targeted by hostile tribes in the area. The view from the towers of the nearby countryside and village was quite lovely.

Also visited the 1,000 year old college of Oxford. Not very photographic or exciting, at least to me, but maybe to those who are more scholastically inclined, it may have been a thrill.

The town of Bath, with it’s strange name, is famous for it ancient Roman built baths, and hence it’s name. Most of the buildings were of the same sandy yellowish-orange color, including an elaborate Gothic Cathedral. The Bathhouse of course, is what we especially came to see. There was like a large swimming pool in the center which was the main bath. Also we were able to tour the pump room which was still pumping and circulating water for the bath. There were many Roman statues surrounding the pool. It’s quite amazing that the Romans could build something so elaborate thousands of miles from home, in the midst of what must have been very hostile territory.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Prepare for Battle!Prepare for Battle!
Prepare for Battle!

On top of a Tower.


Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb