Something Old, ST New, ST French, ST Cool.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
October 3rd 2006
Published: October 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Something Old, S.T. New, S.T. Frenchie, S.T. Cool.

Montreal has all of the above, which made it a good choice for me to visit. I like cities that have some sort of history in it’s past and tangible aspects of it, which in Montreal case, are it’s many old, French structures. Also evident, were the British influence, who of course, won the war, so many Victorian Houses were constructed and thankfully preserved.

Having modern buildings also is not a bad thing, of which there were quite a few of. It’s nothing like Toronto’s or Hong Kong's, but enough to give the city an interesting skyline. Also structures left from the ‘70’s Olympic are still very much evident in the city, and though almost 40’s years old, they still seem to be ahead of it’s time as far as futuristic ideas, are concern.

French influence of course permeates the city, as French is the main language spoken there, but one doesn’t have to worry about starving or picking out dishes that are gross, or getting lost, due to lack of communication, since English is also widely spoken there. To me visiting a city that has Foreign influences is much more interesting and definitely a plus, otherwise one may as well stay at home. Also immigrant cultures there are prevalent such as Chinatown, and Mediterranean influences. They even have a large Chinese Gardens with authentic Chinese Structures and Gardening which saves one the need to visit the Orient.

The epitome of cool are its Subterranean Cities of Shops, restaurants, etc. I’ve seen similar in Shinjuku, Tokyo, but I think this is the most extensive, with many points of entry. I understand the Winters there are brutal so it makes a lot of sense, to have such great concept. The summers are muggy and hot, so even in the summer, it’s a great convenience.





Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb