QUEBEC CITY


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
May 30th 2022
Published: June 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Took the train from Montreal to Quebec City. The three hour ride was in a very rural and farm country area and included on the train was dinner and drinks. During our stay in Quebec City, we stayed at Hotel Le Priori. Nice hotel right in lower Quebec. Always amazed at people who are multi-lingual. Found out the person who checked us in speaks 4 languages - English, French, Ukraine and Russian. Those last two must be a real conflict!!

We never realized how little we knew about Canadian history. We have found that Quebec City is even more French Canadian than Montreal. A city tour and half day spent at the Museum of Civilization was really helpful in opening our eyes. Quebec City is the second oldest city in North America behind St Augustine. It was founded at one of the more narrow parts of the St Lawrence and with huge cliffs near the river which define upper and lower Quebec. As a result, going from the lower to the upper Quebec was a real test for my new knee which started protesting by the third day on our many walks.

Quebec City has preserved the old Quebec
LOWER QUEBEC STREET SCENELOWER QUEBEC STREET SCENELOWER QUEBEC STREET SCENE

FRONTENAC HOTEL IN THE BACKGROUND
area resulting in a very old European feel to the area. There are many buildings from the 1600s. I was somewhat aware of the French Canadian provincial battles with the federal government. This animosity escalated to a short civil war in 1837. Although we have our state rights battles in the USA, the French Canadian conflict extends to language and recognizing holidays. These conflicts remind me of France during the years of De Gaulle. There also seems to be a distinct affinity to the people of the First Nation which refers to the indigenous natives. These natives include the Iroquoi, Mohawks and Cree. There is a lot of sympathy toward them as they are also trying to preserve their language and culture similarly to the French Canadians.

Now it is a over night ride on a train in a sleeper car to Halifax which is about 19 hours.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

MURAL IN LOWER QUEBECMURAL IN LOWER QUEBEC
MURAL IN LOWER QUEBEC

FIVE STORIES TALL DEPICTING VARIOUS POINTS OF CANADIAN HISTORY
STREET SCENESTREET SCENE
STREET SCENE

FUNICULAR TO UPPER QUEBEC


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb