The Frontenac and poutine


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
October 3rd 2018
Published: October 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

ChamplagneChamplagneChamplagne

Nice look out over the river
Je me souviens. I will remember.



Quebec City , one of only 2 walled cities in N America. Where, you say , is the other?



Cloudy , windy day with precipitation , you know , rain , at this time of year.

Beauty of a City , we were shuttled to The Frontenac , in the centre of Old Town.



That’s the imposing hotel overlooking the St Lawrence River.



The Queen Elizabeth 2 was also in port and that made for big numbers of people shuffling around the shops and restaurants.



Went to a Public Farmers Market and Kaye picked up some Maple Syrup , we found a sugar pie to treat our servers with.



Were not supposed to bring food back on board , but no questions.



Wandered around to The Citadel and checked out some cannons , the rain became moderate and we all got wet. The city is well prepped for tourism and there was a myriad of street buskers. People seemed to be having a good time!



Found a traditional restaurant to
Little pigletLittle pigletLittle piglet

Not sure why I took this pic
try the cheese curd , French fry and gravy concoction they make here. So tasty it gets it’s own name. Poutine!!



Not one of us really liked it. The gravy was too spicy and the curds seemed too chunky. So much for one of our National food treasures.

But what do we know. Kathy was the only person to have previously had it.



Breaking news. No sugar at some ladies table in the coffee bar , the servers handle people sooo well. I could not have walked away from that attitude.



Uneventful evening otherwise.



Today’s Shore Excursion was arranged by our Travel Sales people, not sure why.

Thought they might be trying to sell us a Time Share.

No , it was all above board and gratuit.



Checked out the Montmorency Falls, they had coffee and cake for us. About a 20 minute ride from the Port.



Our Guide was a good guy , Québécois, well travelled though, with a good sense of humour, or good script writers. Kathy spoke French with him and endeared herself. The Falls are 50% higher than Niagra Falls and are a powerful visual.



Then to the Citadel and a tour of he Governor Generals residence when not in Ottawa. Asked the young College guide where the GG ‘s residence was in Saskatchewan ! 20 of us in the group , 18 from the USA. Was a good lesson on our Government and was pleased that the others took interest.



Cruised around the Plains of Abraham and got a lesson on communities within the cities walls. Generally a very good overview of Quebec’s history. No discussion on the Battle that had taken place at this location , just talked about French Rule then English Rule , seamlesslly



Kate and I had lunch at a Creperie , bought our grand babies “FirstChristmas “ornaments at a shop , then headed back to the ship. Easy 20 minute walk.



Dinner in the Specialty Restaurant, tried not to eat in excess of my body weight , but everything is so wonderful.



Wow another unhappy guest in the Coffee Bar! Felt she had to wait too long for her Latte. First World Problems!
Queen Mary 2Queen Mary 2Queen Mary 2

Better parking than us



Cornerbrook tomorrow , did anyone know that I have the Key to the City, awarded to our crew in the early 80’s for bringing in the first big jet , Air Canada’s 727!



Now where did I put it!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb