Quebec City


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
September 10th 2014
Published: September 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, when we drove here, we saw many farms, mostly corn, soybeans, and alfalfa. We took a tour today to Quebec City and the guide said that the farm ground here is very rich. He said that they ship a lot of grain to other countries. Quebec City was founded in 1608 by Samuel Champlain. The population of the city is 525,000 and the metro area 725,000. There are 3000 Catholic churches. Many of these have been transformed into museums, libraries, and condos. One church, St. Roch, rents out its basement to a high-end clothes retailer to help with the expenses of the church. We mostly toured the old section of the city. The guide said that a lot of people who live there don't have cars. I can understand why. The streets are very narrow and have a lot of traffic. They were also doing a lot of construction and also getting the streets ready for the Bicycle Gran Prix this weekend. The old part of the city reminds me of European cities. Some interesting facts to me..They have 4-5 million visitors each year. They usually get 10-12 ft. of snow each year. The St. Lawrence River sometimes freezes to about 7 ft. deep and then they have big boats called ice cutters to come and clear the river because the river is very vital to the commerce of the city. D-Day was planned in Quebec City by Churchill and Roosevelt in Feb., 1944. We noticed that many of the buildings had aluminum and copper roofs. The guide said that they produce both aluminum and copper there and those products protect the roofs from snow. We had lunch at a restaurant called Les 3 Brasseurs, which means The 3 Brewers. They brew different kinds of beer there. We had lunch outside and it was very good.. Across the street was a McDonald's. It was different from any other that I have seen. It looked like it was put into an existing building to go with the neighborhood. I take pictures of things that look interesting to me. One of the things that I took a picture of is a pole that is about 6 or 7 ft. high with a sign attached, showing a fire hydrant. This is placed next to the fire hydrant. Jim says that this is used so that when it snows, they can find the fire hydrant. A very busy day. We were all tired when we got back to the RV park. We all go together to have cake and ice cream to celebrate Charlie's birthday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th September 2014

Quebec
I found this to be very interesting. I can understand them marking the fire hydrants since we lived in Minnesota. I don't recall anything like the sign but I feel sure they did something to locate them. It sounds like you are having a good time. I enjoy getting your blogs and hope you have a safe journey.

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb