Day 53 and 54 - Quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 53, Monday 16 July 2007 - Quebec

Today we ventured into 'Old Quebec', which is an absolutely gorgeous little part of this city. New Quebec apparently isn't much newer than old Quebec, but this part is just so pretty and quaint, plus really clean, its great to wander about.

We first booked a 2.5 hour walking tour of the area, as well as a 1.5 hour cruise up the St Laurence River. We had time for breakfast before the walking tour, so went to this pretty little cafe across from a pretty little park and ordered the most divine crepes with fresh fruit, cream anglaise and chantilly cream. Yum!

Next was our walking tour, which was with a really knowledgable local guide, who took us around the whole area of Old Quebec and gave a really great commentary on the history of the city. Old Quebec is totally surrounded by a wall, built to protect the city and within there are so many gorgeous little streets and houses, some really old and well preserved, others have been destroyed by either fire or during battles between the French and English. They have been really well restored though, which is great to see. Most of the buildings also have the most gorgeous little window boxes filled with spring flowers. Makes walking around such a nice thing to do.

A stop for lunch and we were on to our cruise up and down the St Laurence River to see from a distance the local falls. They are actually slightly higher than Niagara, but nowhere near as big, but still nice to see. The cruise itself was really relaxing, as the day was gorgeous - sun was shining, it was warm, but not hot. Just right. We also manged to enjoy and margarita and daiquirie, which helped on the cruise!! lol

After this we wandered about the touristy shops for a while and eventually had dinner. Again, lovely. Veal Marsala and a strawberry and white chocolate mousse for dessert. I tell you, this town is so pretty and the food so good, it would be very easy to live here! Especially as the summers don't get too hot!

Day 54 - Tuesday 17 July 2007 - Quebec and travel to Montreal

We had a morning in Quebec today, before heading to Montreal on the train around 1pm. Given this, we wandered into Old Quebec for breakfast, to the same restuarant, but this time we tried French Toast with fresh fruit and chantilly cream and cream anglaise. Again, yummo!

After this we wandered through a different part of the city, past some more gorgeous shops and down pretty streets and even managed to find a Christmas shop! We did go in this time and I even managed to restrain myself from buying anything. It was pretty damn hard though!

On to Montreal on the train for a few hours, arriving around 5pm.

We wandered onto one of the main streets in the newer section of Montreal when we arrived and I managed to do some serious damage to my credit card! It was totally for a good cause though, as the clothes that I'd sent to the UK for my appointment on Monday had been returned (long story) and so I needed a set of clothes. This was a necessary purchase! So anyway, dinner, a skirt, a shirt, a jacket and a pair of shoes later, we headed back to the hotel.

Off to explore Old Montreal tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb