Day 50, 51and 52 - Canada and Niagara


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 50, Friday 13 July 2007 - Travel to Toronto, Canada from NY

Bit of a nothing day today. Luckly nothing went wrong, even though it was Friday the 13th! We were up early for our t'fer to JFK airport and arrived in Toronto around 2pm. Our hotels in Canada are a bit of a step up from the past few ones we've had, so its nice to have a week or so of relatively luxury. Then we went for a quick walk around downtown Toronto and pretty much crashed early. Tomorrow is the day trip to Niagara.

Day 51, Saturday 14 July 2007 - Niagara Falls

We arrived at Niagara Falls around 11.30 and our first glimpse was pretty good. The falls aren't quite as tall as I was thinking, but they are pretty impressive. We had a buffet lunch at the Sheraton, which looks over the falls, so that was a nice start to the day. After that it was down to catch our 'Maid of the Mist' ride, which takes you right up close to the falls. Now we knew that this was going to be a wet ride, as they hand out ponchos as you board, but I had no idea how wet and especially windy it was going to be!
The falls were soooooo rough, really strong, so much so that I couldn't even look into them. Luckily my camera is waterproof and I managed to take a few pics. While it wasn't quite the same as going over them in a barrel (sourcing movie Arsenic and Old Lace here!), it was still pretty good!

We had a bit of wander about before heading off for the last part of our journey, which took us past the whirlpool that forms a section of the river, a large clock that is totally made out of flowers and then on through Niagara on the Lake, the most picturesque little town I've seen in a while. The houses are all gorgeous and remind me just of a little english town. The town itself is also gorgeous, with one really great shop totally dedicated to Christmas. Unfortunately we didn't get to stop! Probably a good thing for my credit rating!

Out last stop was at a local winery which makes Icewine, which is the same stuff I tasted and bought a couple of bottles of a few years ago when I was in Germany. Great stuff, but I managed to restrain myself from buying any. Again a good thing for my credit rating!

Niagara is a great little place and I'd love to come back and explore some more!

Day 52, Sunday 15 July 2007 - Toronto to Quebec

Another travelling day, although this one was pretty tame in comparison to some of the others we've had. We had to catch two trains, the first from Toronto to Montreal, then the second on to Quebec. We arrived around 9pm, so didn't get to explore much. Tomorrow we have planned a walking tour around 'old Quebec'. Stay tuned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb