Montreal


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
July 3rd 2015
Published: July 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yes, I know you've all been waiting for an update since yesterday. I promised I'd tryto keep the blog updated and you must admit I did pretty OK so far, right?

So. Montreal.

We left Quebec city yesterday. It was still a little overcast but the rain had mostly stopped, finally. We stopped along the way at Trois-Rivieres for some shopping and a break before getting to Montreal.

Our time in Montreal started in the Jewish neighborhood (well, predominantly Jewish. Neighborhoods here tend to be very mixed) at the famous Schwartz's Deli for a sandwich. One sandwich is served here - roast beef with mustard on plain white bread - and people line up along the street just to get in. It's packed inside. Wall to wall with folks munching their roast beef sandwiches! We took ours to go. They were delicious!

Montreal is having a Jazz festival in town so we decided to go and enjoy the music. We found parking (paid, of course) right next to the entrance of the festival area. We were there until late in the evening, enjoying the atmosphere, the people, and especially the music! They call it a Jazz festival,
New Orleans JazzNew Orleans JazzNew Orleans Jazz

Road works band? Good fun music
and there was Jazz there, all types, but also Rock, Blues, Reggae and more. It was cool! We loved it!

We finally got to the hotel at around 10:30, signed in and promptly collapsed.

Have a look at our day:


Today we spent the day in Montreal. The weather was lovely. We parked downtown, not far from the old port and walked along the water to where all the action is. We were early for said action, but that was fine because we enjoyed the port without the crowds. The old port is now a bubbling area with fairs and other activities and attractions all the time. lots of people, both locals and tourists come to spend the day here.

We climbed up the old clock tower (all 192 stairs), saw the mechanism and enjoyed the view from the top. We read a bit about its history along the way. Did you know it was built by the same folks that did the Big Ben? And that ships were registered as entering Montreal harbor once they passed the tower?

Beside the tower is an artificial sandy beach where people pay to enjoy some sunbathing.
Red-wing BlackbirdRed-wing BlackbirdRed-wing Blackbird

The offended bird
We can do that at home for free so we passed.

Back on the main dock we sent the kids into a maze game; the SOS Labyrinthe while Gilat and I had a quiet time on a bench under a tree. While we waited for the kids we saw a woman suddenly ducking and looking around. Turns out she was attacked by a very irate Red-wing Blackbird. So, naturally, I had to try it too. I walked under his tree and the thing tried to growl at me, and dive-bombed my head! When I looked at him he kept his distance but threatened me. Then he turned on some other unfortunate dude who happened to walk by.

When the kids came out of the maze we tricked them into walking under the bird's tree and filmed the consequences. Hilarious!

The very first Montreal Poutine festival opened today in the port. New place new tastes, right? So we tried poutine. Poutine, since I know you were about to ask, is basically french fries with melted cheese and sauce poured over them. Very healthy. From that basic beginning the recipes get adventurous. We tried a basic poutine and then one by a poutiniere from Ottawa that he called the Wolf: basic poutine with beef, pork and chicken piled on. You could also get General Pao Chinese poutine, poutine with shrimp, lobster, veggie...

After sharing two portions of poutine between us we needed a rest. We found a spot under a tree and digested. Then we crossed the street to Place Jacques Cartier, a pedestrian street closed to traffic with street performers, stalls, restaurants and shops. We enjoyed a performer, then saw a reenactment of 17th century French soldiers being checked by their officer at the Chateau Ramezay museum.

We walked by Marche Bon-secours, which is supposed to be a market like in the 19th century but was more like a modern mall in an old building. We peeked into Notre-Dame-de-Bon-secours church next door. Apparently, when Leonard Cohen sings “And the sun pours down like honey On our lady of the harbour” in 'Susanne', he’s talking about the Montreal sun shining down on Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours chapel’s rooftop statue.

We continued our walk to Place d'Armes, with its impressive and historic buildings surrounding it, and then on to Montreal's Chinatown. Chinatown is basically one street closed to traffic, with a few side streets, but very nice. We got some steamed dumplings with different flavors, and two cups of slush; lychee and red beans. The red beans reminded me of milkshake or ice coffee. Interesting, nice, unusual. We found a spot to sit and eat, enjoying the new flavors.

On our way to another evening at the Jazz festival we got a few more dumplings...

We finished the day with a couple hours of music, some very good, some less so, and got back to the hotel at around 10.

And today's video:


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb