Hiking Prince Edward Island NP Trails


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we explored the trails at the National Park. Our first stop was Brackley Beach, where we came upon a school fieldtrip, where the kids were having a fun time. School will be out in another week, academic year is longer here than in the states. At Stanhope Beach we walked the nature trail “Reeds and Rushes”, well maintained and informative. Our final stop was a grand Victoria hotel Dalway-by-the-Sea, they were in the process of getting ready to open next week. I could just picture ladies in long dresses playing tennis and relaxing in the beach chairs with lemonade. Very posh.
Due to the sea and erosion, the National Park is divided into basically three parts, and one needs to travel round about to get to the different sections. This brought us around St. Peter’s Bay, really a lovely area, then onto the Interpretative Center at Greenwich NP. The video here was quite different and interesting, the audience stands and looks down at a divided screen to view a brief history of the area, very well done. We did all three hikes 10plus kilometers, about 5 miles. One, Harne Saint Pierre Trail follows St. Peter’s Bay with markers indicating historical points. Number two, Greenwich Dune Trail is on a long floating boardwalk over Bowley Pond. The reward at the end is the beach and Parabolic Dunes, very rare. Lastly, number three, the Tlaquatik Trail, which follows another section of the bay with spectacular views and more history.
The East Point is PEI was our final destination. We traveled tip to tip on the island and therefore received a certificate for our efforts.
Red Point Provincial Park is our home for the night. The Legion in Souris had a Ceilidh (pronounced Kay-lee), a sorta of jam session. Before the music began we met two friendly guys, Eric and Gerald. Well before we knew it, we were recipients of four lobsters, crab legs and two steaks, compliments of a very generous truck driver and butcher, Gerald and Eric. Thank you!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb