Where Canada Began


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Up early and on our bike over the bridge to Charlottetown we go. The Basilica of St. Dunstan had an 8:30 mass, which we attended. The basilica is known for twin gothic spires, and impressive altar and fine Italian murals. The atmosphere was formal and conservative, oh well.
Charlottetown is where Canada began. In 1864 the colonial capital hosted a Charlottetown Conference, which led to the establishment of the Dominion of Canada. We visited Province House National Historic Site and saw a video recounting the conference of 1864. Charlottetown is the largest city on Prince Edward Island and the smallest Provincial Capital.
On a lighter note, we took the Harbor Hippo, an amphibious vehicle the traveled through town and then into the Hillsboro River. It was a fun way to get a feel for this city. It gave us ideas about where to bike back to and what else to explore. Charlottetown has no pretense of being a big city.
We biked around Victoria Park and down to the wharf with all the little shops.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Provincial House, chamber Provincial House, chamber
Provincial House, chamber

this is where canada got it's start


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb