Lighthouses, the eastern shore


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Prince Edward Island » Cardigan
September 25th 2013
Published: September 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Someone flipped the ‘Fall’ switch on Sept 21st and the day after the birch trees here started to change colour. There are already some vibrant reds mixed in with the rich green of the pine trees here on the island. Today we headed NE to the North Harbour. The North Harbour is yet another cove housing a fishing harbour. At least a dozen fishing boats were there. The island has an incredible amount of these harbours dotted all along its shoreline. Our tour today took us to many of the lighthouses on the eastern shores. As a result, the drive has had the most incredible views. You’ll see a shoreline, water, red beach, shoreline then water again all at once as the jutting out of land creates a cove that the road winds around. Another thing they have here is fishing boats on their front lawns. Some look like working trawlers, just put ashore for the winter. Others are old rotted out wooden boats making a statement about the boon of a fishing industry that is long past. Generally today it was raining but for the most part when we got out looking for a cache or taking pictures of a lighthouse, the rain had slowed almost to a stop or the sun came out. We have been so lucky with the weather. In fact the rain we’ve had while driving has almost washed the red dirt off the side of the truck, now it’s just pink tinged. We went down to the shoreline in front of the cottage finally tonight while we had a couple minutes of daylight left and saw a brightly lit cruise ship on the horizon. It sure looked weird, all that light out there on the ocean.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb