Gorgeous fall leaves, Algonquin Provencial Park, Ontario


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
October 7th 2012
Published: October 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello, again –

We’re now in Algonquin Provencial Park, Ontario, and it’s cold, and the leaves are spectacular. We got here three days ago (Thursday evening, Oct. 4) right at the peak of leaf color. Since then we’ve had a front move in and blow a lot of the leaves off the trees. But they’re still lucious with an amazing variety of scarlets and golds and plums.

Last night it got below freezing and today it's in the 40's. Tonight it will be even colder. I know that's not a big deal from some of you, but considering that we've come from four months of weather in the 90's, it takes some getting used to.

When we packed for this trip four weeks ago, it was still in the 90’s so we didn’t do a good job of packing really warm clothes. We visited a Walmart a couple of weeks ago and got warm jackets and I got a wool hat with ear flaps and also gloves. Thank goodness. But it feels good.

Today is Canada's Thanksgiving, so we had a wonderful dinner at the Killarney Lodge -- turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, etc. -- one of the best restaurant dinners we can remember. We save our change all year for a couple of blow-out dinners on our trip, and this was worth a year's worth of nickel, dime, etc. hoarding.

This is our second visit to the visiters' center on this trip as they have the only available WiFi in this whole, huge park. Yesterday they had 13 school and tour busses here plus hundreds of cars so this place was packed with over a thousand people, 80% of which are from the Orient. It's a little hard to understand . . .

Quess what these individuals do most? They take pictures of themselves. They will stand in front of the most beautiful scenery and take group and individual photos of themselves. I often wonder if they see much of the scenery in their trip photos to show their friends when they get back home. "Oh, and on Grandma's left side if you look closely you can see some pretty trees."

We have more photos of this park, interesting stuff that goes on here, but I’ll send them in another blog. These photos are mostly of the gorgeous leaves since this is a short-lived event and is happening now.

We were here three years ago, so a few of you may already have seen our photos from this park. And, by the way, none of these photos have been edited for color, just little tweeks for lighting.

Paula & Bob


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb