Toronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
October 10th 2023
Published: December 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Toronto was only one day of our two week itinerary, and our time was largely spent in its museums and restaurants.

We started our day at the Royal Ontario Museum, the largest and most visited museum in Canada with exhibits of art, Canadian and world culture, and natural history, including dinosaurs! The ROM demanded a full day on its own but then we wouldn’t have been able to visit the Art Gallery of Ontario, the second largest art museum in Toronto, with outstanding works by Canadian, First Nations and Inuit artists, among others. A particular revelation was the artwork from the Group of Seven, once known as the Algonquin School, a group of Canadian landscape painters from 1920 to 1933. I didn’t understand Canadian art until my fourth trip to the country when I finally visited this museum. Don’t miss it.

No visit to Toronto is complete without a stop at the St. Lawrence Market and the Distillery District, both of which close much too early. Make a mad dash here after you’re done with museums to have a nibble and do some window shopping before drinks and dinner.

Ramen Isshin is a must with great vegetarian choices. Khao San Road was little out of the way but delicious. Nearby to the ROM is Trattoria Nervosa and the Oxley, and both look great. Plus there are lots of breweries all across town to wash everything down.

The largest city in Canada has a lot of lodging options, but the Planet Traveler Hostel isn’t a bad choice. An updated and modern hostel with terrific facilities, a rooftop bar with excellent city views, free breakfast, social activities and helpful staff, it also has a convenient location to restaurants (including Ramen Isshin!), shops and public transportation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 135, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

 Royal Ontario Museum Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum

Waterfowl foot bag (1910-14) used to carry moss or cotton grass fluff.
 Royal Ontario Museum Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum

Photo courtesy of Clement Chin
 Royal Ontario Museum Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum

Photo courtesy of Clement Chin


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb