36 hours of insanity. (Welcome to Thunder Bay)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Thunder Bay
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Fam.
So the last 36 hours have been insane.

Part I
So the flight from Detroit to Toronto was delayed for well over an hour and when we got to Tor, we had to go through customs and security, so we missed our flight by about 30 minutes. After we missed our flight in Toronto Sunday,( around 1:35). We got on Standby for a a flight at 4:55, and 7 and 9 I was with one other guy from the show, Stoner (Matt Stoner). So, Stoner, and I ate and then went to the gate. I checked my email and posted that last blog and then almost as soon as I was done, they announced that all flights to Thunder Bay by Air Canada were cancelled for the night, because of weather. So we went and got our bags and proceed back to the front desk to see about re-booking. Now mind you we knew that we had to go to work Monday morning at 4am. So the next flight to TB by Air canada was going to be at 6am monday morning. We were not happy. Stoner is the head electrician and the only one on the crew that knows how Ground support works. Because we don't usually use ground support, usually we hang our grid and set from the ceiling. But this venue is so small that we had to support the grid and set from the ground. And Stoner is one of the only ones who has done it enough times to know how to do it. So, finally we get a call from our Tour Coor. He's like," okay, I've got a flight for you tonight. It's a different airline, and it's at nine". At that moment it was 6pm. So we make our way to a different terminal, all baggage in-tow and check in with WESTJET. Of course, after waiting three hours, the flight gets delayed for another hour. After spending 9 hours in Toronto Airport, going through security 6 times, customs once, changing terminals three times, and standing in 6 lines, as well as 7 gates, we finally get to board a plane. We arrived in Thunder Bay about 12:30am. And of course we wait half an hour for the shuttle. Sometime around 1:30am, we checked into the hotel. I took a shower and shaved, and then slept one hour and got up at 3am, and got ready for work.

Part II
So we got to work. The venue is not an arena, it's a small junior hockey stadium. Smaller than Knoxville! It's ridicules. We worked all day unloaded trucks and getting everything in. Ground support started late and took forever, because most people didn't know what was going on. We didn't have enough room to store stuff, so everything got pushed onto the ice, and there was barely enough room to walk from one side to the other. Then we got told we couldn't store anything in the concourse that runs around the rink, because it was a fire hazard. Oh, and it's bloody cold here. I mean it was 20 below yesterday. And of course I completely underestimated the weather. I did not wear long johns and so there were moments when I was working outside that my extremities went numb, so I had to stop and go in and warm up! I spent a lot of yesterday sitting on the tractor outside, bundled up in borrowed clothes pulling crates off trucks! Fun FUn. So after working 16 hours straight and hard we get two hours out from doors. (Doors is when we open the doors and let people in for the show, it's happens an hour before the show) and we're no where near ready. The set is about half way done. So it became a state of panic. We cut everything from the show that we could do without and just threw all our props backstage. We started the show sill building props backstage. IT was bad. So we did the show, barely...it was really bad.

So, after an 18 hour work day, a bad work day on 1 hour of sleep. I slept from 11pm till 1pm! And now I have to pack, because tonight we have one show and then load out. We travel tonight and tomorrow to Sault Ste Marie, ON.

The silver lining was that last nights show was for charity. All the tickets were donated. So that made us feel a little better!

Alright, well I am off to finish packing and leaving for tonight. Love you guys. Have fun in Mexico and Cleveland!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb