neilandjoyce


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
September 1st 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 28 August. We were supposed to be joining the tour in NY today, but coudn't get there because of Hurricane Irene. Montreal is OK, weather is cool but fine. We went for a wander to the underground shopping centres for something to do.
Monday 29 August, Went for a walk to the Old Port area, and just strolled around the streets looking at houses, shops, and Notre Dame Cathedral. Went back to the underground shops, and Joyce bought a couple of things. We found a Dollarama shop and bought some cheap food.
Tuesday 30 August caught up with the tour here and went on a sightseeing drive to the Basilica (3rd largest dome in the world behind St Peters in Rome and a church on the Ivory Coast in Africa). The tour went to a restaurant at the Old Port for dinner, and we are meeting fellow tourists, and tryinh hard to remember names. There are a few fellow strandees joining in Montreal.
Wednesday 31 August. More stragglers joined this morning for the trip to Ottawa. Beautiful city with old buildingd, especially the Houses of Parliament. The native american building and exhibition was impressive also. Continued on towards Toronto, with a stop and cruise at the Thousand Islands in the St Lawrence river. After that we went to the Big Apple, and had some apple pie, I had some chilli, and feeling it now. Arrived at our hotel in Toronto, the Sheridan, very nice. After getting our rooms, we went for a stroll in the underground shops, but most were closed. Fairly early start tomorrow morning.
Thursday 1 September. 6am wake up call, bags 6.45, and on bus at 7.15 for drive to CN Tower, and then on to Niagara Falls. Traffic chaos as there was a fatal accident ahead of us on the freeway. Finally arrived at Niagara about 12.30 and went straight to the revolving restaurant for a delicious 3 course lunch. The views from the tower were fantastic, with excellent views of both the American and Horseshoe Falls as the tower revolved. After lunch we went on the 'Maid of the Mist' boat to the face of the falls. Fortunately we were provided with ponchos, or we would have been drenched instead of only mostly damp. Went to the duty free for pick up tomorrow morning, and then to our hotel the Rasdisson Fallsview. Not bad, but not as good as the Sheraton in Toronto. Early start (5.45am) in the morning for long drive to York via Gettysburg tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb