neilandjoyce


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Roanoke
September 5th 2011
Published: September 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

September 2

Travelled to Amish country today via Gettysburg. Very moving experience there. What a total waste of life. Amish people live a very simple life. No modern conveniences at all, but very happy with their lives. We stayed at our worst hotel, a Holiday Inn in York, which had dreadful lighting in the dining area, and where I tripped up a very hard to see small step. Only damage to pride, thankfully.

September 3

Drove to Washington and checked into a magnificent hotel, the Omni Shoreham. Bill Clinton had his inauguration ball there, and many famous people have performed there. In the evening we went out to a restaurant in Georgetown, very nice, followed by a night tour of some of the monuments around. We are arranging a bit of a gettogether for a few people tonight, to drink some of the booze we bought earlier. Tomorrow we travel to Cherokee, which is a dry county.

September 4

Morning tour of Washington sights, very good. Our bus driver took 5 of us to a ball game, Washington Nationals v New York Mets. Very hot day, so I had to buy a basehall cap. We only stayed to the 7th inning. Nationals ended up losing with the score 6-3 the same as when we left. Went out to dinner with another couple off the tour, Jeff & Margaret from Forbes in NSW. Jeff is a farmer, runs sheep and grows wheat also. Lovely people.

September 5

Left for Roanoke this morning. Weather very hot and humid. Stopped in Williamsburg at the most complete original town in the USA. We had early lunch there, and continued on the road. We stopped at a Walmart at bought supplies, as the hotel at Roanoke is some way from town. By the time we arrived it was pouring rain. Looks like it may set in for the next few days.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb