In the beginning...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Holland Landing
July 29th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

In the Beginning...


So here we are, ready for the exodus that will be our search for the Real. As we sit in our RV preparing to leave our home of ten years, the fleeting moments of nostalgia are quickly overcome by the anticipation and excitement of what is still to come!

But how did this crazy idea begin? What inspired us to leave behind our family, friends and lives that we had become so accustomed to? Well, in short, it goes something like this:

In the beginning...

Erin and I were never the most conventional of people, and yet, we were still finding ourselves trapped in the cycle of a burdensome routine that symbolizes the slow demise of so many dreams. We too had accumulated the prestigious degrees that hung gathering dust on the walls, and we both took on professional careers that would have us negotiating the politics of people, the frustrations of daily commutes and the constant compromises between our integrity and the skewed objectives of Western culture. After so long, it became exhausting.

Our daily discussions at the dinner table became more cynical as the question continually arose: “Where did the real go?” Our already heightened awareness towards social issues had us continually challenging the conventions of work, play – or lack thereof – politics, health, lifestyle and the list goes on. We started wondering what the alternatives were and how we could put them into practice. From there, the dreams began flowing and we would spend night after night flipping through atlases and encyclopaedias and searching the Internet for the ideals we were seeking.

Our criteria was simple: We were looking for a warm climate with a healthier lifestyle, new opportunities to experience people, places and things, simplicity, and most importantly, a life that we could live without regret.

From there, the plan was simple: To leave, though yes, it is easier said than done.

Nonetheless, once we knew what we wanted – though still unsure of where we would be – we began the process. We started the mass liquidating of everything from real estate, to cars, to furniture, to all that stuff that most collect over the years. Being much less burdened by stuff, Erin was already ahead in that regard and patiently watched the process unfold. Businesses were sold, new investments made, and day by day the reality of our goals started to become reality!

Fast forward to now... we are in our RV, parked in the driveway, minutes away from taking one last glimpse at the life we are leaving behind. In a few hours we will have our transient house on wheels in Toronto acting as home base as we await our departure date for China. But that is still five weeks away and we have much to do before then.

Next stop, the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto!

In search of the Real,





-Sean & Erin

Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb