our generosity to the health & education systems of canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Hawkesbury
September 18th 2010
Published: September 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Being on the road is a great change to the tourist thing and we have been seeing some amazing views on each bend - we were in high skiing country for a while and the chalets etc were fairly impressive - as lou hasn't ever seen snow it is a bit hard to get your head around. Thel continues to navigate brilliantly although having some trouble with her left and right turns - because you have to take a wide right sort of turn to go left she keeps telling lou to go right - oh shit !!

Went on a real adventure yesterday - went off the track and ended up finding this ferry from Hudson accross river and just decided to take it - was a magic blue sky day and the sun was glorious day - thel was very excited about the sun - lou even had her sunnies on. Lou still has to wear a hat because her head is so cold - she has no hair !!

when we went on the island (after the ferry) there were lots of motor bikes and we had to decide if we would go back accross the river or just keep going and arrive at destination via an alternative route.... so we just kept driving - and we kept seeing all of these little shak things - kind of 3 times the size of an outdoor dunny and with signs on them cigaretts - apparantly we were on an indian reservation and they were contraband cigarettes and there are dozens and dozens of the stalls - instead of paying $75 per carton it is $10 or $13 - we found this out when we stopped for gas...

The interenet cafe - said yes you can use our computers but you must eat and drink - we said "oh really - do we have to ??" no - we just fell apart laughing and said we can do that !!

Went to a great restaurant in Sherbrook - Thel hasn't shut up about it for the past 3 days - even when we get home you all must ask her "how wa your foie gras?" she ate the innards of animals again all that night and was beside herself with excitement.... the wine list lit up with a soft blue light when you opened it - now that excited Lou....

Cute little stop signs in canada - the rules are a bit scratchy - it seems to Lou that everyone pulls up - each gets a little turn (not necessarily in the same order) then everyone drives away happy ... well lou does anyway.

Now we told you last time about trying to find patchwork shops - success at last a shop called "Fabriqueville' now we thought that was too obvious!! it was great and lou bought some scaps - thel was intrigued by this big shop that had a pair of scissors out the front and was called "club tissus" - so off we went and guess what - yep a fabric shop!

We are in Hawkesbury for another night and then on to Ottowa for 3 nights - we drop the car there. unfortunately we have to leave hawkesbury before an all day food festival - can you believe that!!! Staying at a motel/hotel and the restaurant is the best in town - Thel had steak and 1/2 lobster lat night as it is the lobster festival here at present... food food food

Have been saving food and going to parks to feed the squirrels - really do love them - lou very distressed whilst watching them go in and out of garbage bins -

Milk - Thel drinks soy milk and it is difficult to get in cafe's.. so when we asked at this one cafe - they did not have soy but they offered Thel a tablet that will help with the symptoms that she gets after drinking normal milk - bloody hell can you believe that!! The packaging over here is gross - you very rarely get milk in a jug with your tea - you will get little itzy bitzy plastic containers with milk in them...

This morning Lou decided that it was time to go to hospital as her vertigo/sinus cold was really keeping her up at night - and with the thought of two flights pending - she should get it checked out... so, off to the hospital as it is Saturday - three and half hours later - all bits are good but have sinutitis - please pay this account and claim on your insurance = so, lou says okay and fainted there and then..... $595.00 - so Jobie i will be seeing what i can claim on that when i get back - holy crap!!! So, the contribution to the health and education department has been made.... Then off to pharmacy to get some sinus tablets - non prescription.... interestingly no-one warned us of impending staggering account - thankyou God for Visa cards..... The best part is that Lou will be okay to fly around up there ...

And so the adventure continues and we will write again from Ottowa we are about to go and explore another lake region for the afternoon - honestly the pine trees on the lakes are just so beautiful and the houses along the water line are just something out of a movie - so picturesque and because the days have been clear - the views just are WOWWWW ....

we were not able to put photos on at this internet spot - but have them on disc ready to go for when we can..... thanks for the messages, love you all,
Thel and Lou xxxxxxxx





Advertisement



18th September 2010

Great reading
Hi you two, sounds like a great trip to date , but Thel how could you have missed out on knowing about a Food Festival - what where you thinking?? Lou you will have a new job on your return - you have to stand at the counter and recite your health care story every time someone whinges about not being bulk billed. Lou we got a golden labradorpuppy and are all smitten with its antics and cuteness. Keep having fun miss you heaps
19th September 2010

:)
COME HOMEEEE!!!!!!
20th September 2010

catching up with your trip
eddie and i have just read your whole trip so far and i have had the best laugh for ages. sounds like another travel doco and makes me wish i was sharing some of it with you both. I did go to the coffs airport to see you off but i missed you. I am starting to feel lousy most of the time and spend a lot of time in bed but there are only three more treatments to go. your messages have cheered me up so i look forward to the rest of your trip. lots of love and look after yourselves. see ou soon. lots of love jan and eddie. xxxxx .
20th September 2010

hey guys
Hey Lou I can feel your pain with the sinus I hate this time of the year with the flowers and the trees the hayfever is driving me crazy so I can imagine how you feel. Its good to hear things are going great cant wait to see more happy snaps when I get back to Grafton. C u in 2 weeks xxx

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb