the township trail


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Sherbrooke
September 16th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour everyone,

Forgot to tell you - last night in Quebec we went to a Thai-cambodian-vietnamese restaurant - which was outstanding - Lou was really sick with flu and the waitress gave her some saki to make her feel a bit better and she also asked if we wanted cold water or hot water - thel asked for cold and lou asked for hot - thinking it would just be room temperature - it was so hot she couldnèt lift up the glass - boiling hot - just needed a little tea bag and she could have made a cuppa!!

Quebec city was a piece of cake for french and english - i guess cause they have so many tourists - but out here in the wild - O.M.G. hardly anyone speaks english - which as you can imagine causes us many fits of giggles. Thel is co-pilot and navigator in the ford and she is learning french along the way and proudly recites things out of her little french book - no bastard can understand anything she says - but it is so much fun.. she is kind of like my very own ipad i just cant fit her into my shoulder bag!!

We are off the main freeway and are driving a road called the township trail - the first day we wound along the river kind of like driving down through ulmarra, maclean etc beside the river - except it is nothing like that because there are so many christmas trees - and it is very high and there are hansel and gretel houses on farms - lots and lots of farms - mostly dairy and all with the most amazing array of sheds and silos - Lou very pleased sheds are so big as she would prefer to know that the cows go inside for the 3 months of winter - she is now happy about that. Because it is really cold it is hard to comprehend why the hell they all need pools in their backyards !! And EVERY single house has got little swinging chairs with rooftops on them out back of the house - double ones that rock. sometimes rows of houses together look like dolls houses. Stayed at Drummonville the first night. The wood stacked next to the houses is staggering - but then the timeframe of being bloody cold is so very long - i guess they need it .... at one point in time we were on a dirt track with trees everywhere around us with lots of pickups and mountain men......hmmmmm none worth stopping the car for...

Really love the pully clothes lines from the verandah or balconies - so in some places there are lines between all of the little houses with clothes hanging - looks great..

Now you would think in an area that was so cold for so long there would be at least one patchwork shop in each town - not so far - when we speak in our fluent french - we have been directed to a dressmaking service and the next time to a curtain shop - which did have some patchwork but fabric was very very old!!

We are currently in Sherbrooke for two night stay and exploring the town (165,000 people) and the surrounds - have to keep remembering that we are on holidays too and have a rest here and there. we cannot bring ourselves to try the national dish of hot chips, creamy cheese melted over the top and then gravy all over that - Oh it makes you almost puke just typing it - but you see people scoffing it down like it was something yummy... yukkkkkkkkkkkkk

Breaking news - the mother of the bride - Mrs Thel has her outfit for Michael and Hayleys wedding - very glam and had lots of fun trying to talk to the lady in the shop - thel looks great in outfit.

walking today which will be great as we have sat for two days in the car and Lou feels like she may explode at any minute - but it will pass and she will stop for coffee!! Speaking of walking - glad to hear you are doing well Lynne - keep up the work ready for vietnam !!

Very funny thing happened this morning - thel and lou walking past hairdresser and lou decided she wanted a trim - so in she goes and they can do it straight away - so in she goes and the girl could speak NO NO NO NO ENGLISH - so after several attempts at explaining stuff - lou sat still and silent for 30 minutes whilst her hair got shorter and shorter !! And when finished the girl made lou sit there and her teacher had to check it - O.M.G. it was a teaching salon and thel who was waiting knew this but could do nothing as lou was already in there - so it was $8 and a bargain and will be short for while!! just hair and it will grow!!

who left us a message about travelling cattle class and the lovely grant - whom lou would be happy to have tuck in bed in first class!!!

Thanks for all other messages - we love to hear what goes on at home .......

we are heading back out into the cold now - this has been a good cafe to stop at for internet access -

love to you all thel and lou xxxxxx


Advertisement



16th September 2010

Jus swee Sally...
laughing out laugh (and I'm at work with all your exploits - very funny. Cannot WAIT to see photos of Manda's new "hairstyle" - what a hoot for $8! Stay safe and thanks again for the all the laughs Jobie xox
17th September 2010

yeah yeah yeah enough of the travel stories, have you got my chanel and t-shirt yet?
22nd September 2010

FOOD
O.M.G looks like I will have to start my diet NOW!! If your trip is any indication of the amount of food that could (will) be consumed overseas. And I think I will book in for a haircut the day before I leave so as not to have to have haircut over there. Luv the blogs. Kepp having fun. Love Lynne

Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb