Kitchener, Peterborough and the Kawarthas, Prince Edward Country, 1000 Islands – 13-15 August 2016


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Gananoque
August 15th 2016
Published: August 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Kitchener, Peterborough and the Kawarthas, Prince Edward Country, 1000 Islands – 13-15 August 2016



Travelling from Niagara Falls area we headed west through Hamilton to Kitchener. We were ready for a coffee so we found a wonderful bakery with outside seating as it was a lovely warm day with a gentle breeze. We walked inside and what we saw was what we were hoping ….. Kitchener Buns, our favourite buns from the German area of the Barossa Valley and Handoff in Adelaide. These buns have very unique tasting dough and are so moist. They are called Berlin Buns in Kitchener (interesting!!) and instead of having cream inside them, they had either vanilla cream custard or chocolate cream, but the bun tasted the same. Tom & I shared one over a lovely coffee. They also had the biggest croissants we have ever seen. We just couldn’t eat those but took a photo of them.



Feeling very satisfied, we drove along Freeway 401 towards Peterborough. With the very heavy traffic and the roadworks as well as having to travel on the outskirts of Toronto, it took us an extra 1 ½ hours to arrive at our B&B called the Burley Gardens Executive Suite.



The accommodation took up all the 1st floor of the house, owned by Margaret who also had a substantial commercial nursery surrounding her home. She looked after us very well. We had a lovely breakfast of eggs and very special, (unique to this area) peameal(Kastler) bacon which was so tasty and very moist. It is also known as “Canadian Bacon”.



On arrival she gave us a map and pointed to all the highlights of the area; the tallest lift-lock in North America, the local lookout, the zoo and the quaint little township. It was a really hot day and we learned from Margaret that they have had no rain to speak of since May so she was buying water for her nursery.



We found a wonderful Mexican restaurant for dinner, ensuring we chose one that was outside in the breezy balmy evening. A mojito was also on the menu.



Before we left the next day was the time we decided to visit the local zoo. There was no entry fee and it was run through donations and the work of the Rotary and Apex clubs. Halfway through our visit, the rain started pelting down, fortunately at the time when we were under cover. I lasted only 15 minutes and as soon as it eased off we hopped into the car and headed south to Prince Edward Country (Wellington & Picton).



The Peterborough area is also in the middle of the wooded Kawarthas which is sacred aboriginal land. We saw lots of cottages next to the multiple waterways and lakes in the area. It was a very pretty area.



The Prince Edward Country was also very pretty through vineyard dotted plains. There was a Water Route and an Art Route and the Loyalist Parkway. We often hugged the shores of Lake Ontario. When we stopped at Wellington for coffee and snacks the rain had followed us. The locals were so excited as they cleared the outside dining area from umbrellas etc just in time for the torrential, but short-lived down-pour.



It was then onto Kingston and Gananoque where we caught the cruise around the area known as 1000 Islands, and yes there are over 1800 rocky islands in the area, running throughout the St Lawrence River up to Brockville. It was beautiful.



The Thousand Islands are one of the most scenic spots in Ontario and northern New York. The 1,864 islands (defined as anything permanently above water that can support at least one tree) dot this portion of the St. Lawrence River that straddles the Ontario/New York border. During the 18th and most of the 19th century, it was a choke point on the St.Lawrence and therefore of vital military importance for both the young United States and the British colony of Canada. The colonial and military influence is still visible on the Canadian side in towns like Kingston.



At the turn of the 20th century, the Thousand Islands were mainly a retreat for the wealthy, some of whom bought a private island for their summer mansion. These are visible on boat cruises down the river. We spotted many magnificent mansions. Cruises include trips past dozens of islands, fairytale castles, lighthouses, island mansions and wildlife all accompanied by true tales of pirates, bootleggers and the Gilded Age rich and famous who all spent time here. We also floated around Bolt Castle an impressive castle on its own island in the middle of the river. Built by a millionaire for his wife, tourist revenue now pays to renovate and complete it.



After the cruise we walked into the little, pretty town and found a place for lunch. It was then onto Ottawa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb